Read what people think about Signed Mata Hari by Yannick Murphy, and write your own review.

by Yannick Murphy

Signed Mata Hari by Yannick Murphy X
Signed Mata Hari by Yannick Murphy
  • Readers' rating:

• Published in USA  Nov 2007
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 16 reader reviews for Signed Mata Hari

Mata Hari
This book was a lovely surprise. I knew nothing of Mata Hari and while this is a fictionalized account of the infamous spy, I learned much about the depth of her character. The alternating chapters reveal accounts of her past and her imprisonment in France. She didn't just decide to become a spy. The evolution from Margarethe with a troubled childhood and marriage to the bold Mata Hari evokes the complexities of how individuals become who they are. While I may have thought of Mata Hari with disdain before reading this book, I now see her with great empathy and even feel a connection with her. This is a great read and I think women especially will enjoy it.

Signed, Mata Hari
At first I found the novel confusing until I started sorting out the characters. The author is very effective in switching from the past to the present and her writing style is delightful. By the end of the book you feel as if you have an insight into Mata Hari and wonder if different circumstances would have changed the fate of her life. The author also did an excellent job of tying in the beginning of the book with the ending (edited to remove plot spoiler).

Signed, Mata Hari
I am very impressed with the author. From the beginning, I loved the lyrical language and the character that she was able to flesh out. I knew nothing about Mata Hari, which drew me to the book. With the short chapters, it made it easier for me to pick up and put down at this busy time of year. But I found myself not wanting to put it down at all. As she tells her stories, you become totally hypnotized by this woman. If you want to learn a little, be entertained and find out what lyrical really means, pick up this book!

Signed Mata Hari
I thouroughly enjoyed this book. The 'short' James Patterson type chapters made for easy reading. Getting a glimpse into the life of Mata Hari makes one realize she is so much more than just a spy! The descriptions of Java, and the countries she traveled, gave me a clear visual of the colors, sounds, and feels of those lands.

Spy Stories
Murphy, in her lyrical language, short chapters, and changing points of view, spins multiple stories and introduces the reader to a fascinating array of characters -- foremost, the complex and complicated Mata Hari. I enjoyed the book and loved the mythical stories Mata Hari told and wrote to her children.

Did She or Didn't She
This book raises the question of Mata Hari's guilt as a spy or a victim of circumstance. Yannick Murphy captures the essence of this woman from her early life with an abusive cold husband to the loss of her children and writes in a poetic fashion that makes you want to believe what Mata Hari tells us. The book richly introduces characters who make an imprint on Mata Hari's life and lead her away from the life she loved and into a sad desperate struggle for survival.

signed mata hari
The world's view of Mata Hari as a spy and seductress is challenged in this interesting "point of view" novel. Poetic in its language, it provides all the elements of an outstanding and persuasive defense closing argument. Tracing a life that leads to her inevitable end, but swept by currents beyond her control - or often, beyond her understanding - this book will pull you in. Plan to settle comfortably and enjoy the read.

Signed Mata Hari
I enjoyed this book, especially because I knew the "name" Mata Hari but didn't really know any real information. It was easy to read and hard to put down at times. The author did an excellent job of depicting the character and the atmosphere to get a clear vision of the time period and what was going on.

• Book Jacket: Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions