Read what people think about The Quiet Girl by Peter Hoeg, and write your own review.

The Quiet Girl

by Peter Hoeg

The Quiet Girl by Peter Hoeg X
The Quiet Girl by Peter Hoeg

• Published in USA  Oct 2007

There are currently 19 reader reviews for The Quiet Girl

Helen

A challenging but riveting read
Like a spider spinning its web to entice its prey, author Peter Hoeg slowly but adroitly entices readers to suspend their belief in ordinary reality as they enter a world of illusion, mystery, and suspense to join Kasper Krone in his search for the quiet girl.

Bach's music, the mysticism of Gurdjieff, the synchroncities of Jung, the spirituality of the Orthodox Church, and high technology intermingle in this fast-paced novel.

The book begins slowly as the author moves forward and backward in time to develop the characters but quickly springs into high speed action..
Samantha

Quiet Girl Intriguing, Interesting read
"The Quiet Girl" by Peter Hoeg was a very interesting read. Hoeg draws you in immediately with his quirky, unusual character Kaspar Krone. Great prose and an intriguing story line kept me hooked to the very last page. Some of the jumps between present and memories of past, were a little confusing at first, but once I got used to the rhythm, everything flowed together. I highly recommend this book.
Zoe

James Bond at the Cirque du Soleil
This book is an intriguing, extremely fast-paced literate psychological mystery. The protagonist is a fascinating character, a circus clown with an extremely acute sense of hearing as well as an unusual talent for sensing each person's musical key which gives him insight into their character and current state of mind. Although the book is confusing at the outset, it very quickly grabs you with short chapters and lots of action. I felt I was viewing a Cirque du Soleil production where there is a multitude of things happening that are all very interesting but need to be observed for a while before a connection and continuity can be established between the events.
Power Reviewer Sylvia

Interesting and challenging
The Quiet Girl by Peter Hoeg was hypnotic and mysterious. The beginning is confusing with seemingly unconnected strings of plot and characters and for some readers that may be a deterrent, but if you stick with it, the end will be rewarding. Kasper Krone, the main character is fascinating, unusual, and sympathetic. I would recommend this to readers who have no trouble suspending disbelief , enjoy a bit of the fantastic, and have patience for not understanding everything from the beginning. I found it compelling and interesting.
Marta

A Mental Challenge
I usually review books for young adults so sitting down with Peter Hoeg's book was very challenging for me. It takes a lot of focus and mental prowess to read but it was worth it at the end. This is mainly a thriller and the main character is a clown and a brilliant musician who is fixated on the music of Bach. It is set in a very innocent world and explores love and what is real. If you would like a challenging read I recommend this book.
Leann

Worth the Effort
Peter Høeg’s The Quiet Girl is not an easy read. The shifts between present and past are sometimes difficult to follow and the plot is, in my opinion, over complicated. But then, Høeg is not known for simplistic writing or “dumbing down” for broader audience appeal. He has high expectations for his readers and expects to be met half-way and then some. So, there is some work necessary; one must pay attention while reading and trust in the journey. The reader must be willing to follow where the author leads. Fortunately, the main character, Kasper Krone, is so charming, his mystical abilities so fascinating, and the writing itself so lyrical, that the journey changes from perilous to pleasurable fairly quickly.
Julie

A Mystical Thriller
After reading only the first few pages of this book, I doubted I'd be able to hold on to the end....however, once I continued on, I began to really get into it. The story reads like a dark, mystical, multi-faceted dream. It moves around unexpectedly to different times and places in the main character's experience, which at first bothered me, but then once I found the rhythm of the book, I was able to follow along without any trouble. Surprisingly, because this is not the usual genre of book I read, I found myself quite involved right through to the end. I'd say, in a broad sense, the book is about the psychic struggle between good and evil, light and darkness. I found it quite enjoyable.
Francine

the quiet girl
Seldom have I had to struggle to read a book. While parts of the story were somewhat interesting and the characters unique, it just did not come together for me. It seemed disconnected and sometimes I felt like I was in the "twilight zone." However, maybe that was the intention of the author. I would NEVER NOT recommend a book to anybody because we all have different tastes.

• Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund