Read what people think about Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris, and write your own review.

Sold on a Monday

Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 41 reader reviews for Sold on a Monday

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Sold On A Monday
Good and bad things seemed to happen on Mondays for Ellis Reed, but more bad.

The day Ellis was biding time until a scheduled meeting, happened to be the day his career changed, but it also was the day that would change his life and the life of the Dillard family.

Ellis’s story about a family who had their children for sale turned out to be something more than a story. It really happened, and when Ellis found out, he couldn’t stop thinking about it.

Meanwhile Lily worked at the paper as a secretary and had a part in this story even though she didn’t write the story. Lily had a secret about the story and her personal life that she hoped would never be revealed, but you know how things work with secrets.

Ellis wanted to be successful, but once he was, he still held back because he felt his success was based on the misfortunes of the family he had taken a photo of and had written a story about.

Ellis and Lily worked together once they found out what happened to the Dillard’s after the publication of the story and the sign that said: 2 Children for Sale.

They both felt responsible for the outcome, and it haunted both of them. Neither Lily or Ellis wanted to rest until they found out where the children were and what happened to their mother.

Set during the depression, you can feel the troubles and worries families had and the desperate measures some of them took.

SOLD ON A MONDAY has wonderful, lovable characters. Ms. McMorris marvelously portrayed characters you would want to know. You will be with them in their pain, their indecisions, their decisions, their love for each other, and their feelings.

Ms. McMorris knows how to tell a story and keep you interested. SOLD ON A MONDAY is a beautiful story about caring and compassion.

SOLD ON A MONDAY was heartwarming as well as heartbreaking.

It is a book women’s fiction fans won’t want to miss. 5/5

This book was given to me as an ARC by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Barbara fraser

Sold on monday
It is time people realize what it is. Like for many people! I think it should be a movie!
Susan L. (Alexandria, VA)

Righting Wrongs
It's impossible not to care for the characters in this book. To watch them make mistakes, then work to make it right. The premise of a fateful photo that doomed two children was compelling and kept me turning pages. Beautifully done.
JW

Compelling Read
Was fortunate to receive an advanced copy of this wonderful book. Sold On A Monday, story of people selling their children because they can't afford to feed them. Once you start with book, you will not be able to put it down.
Linda K. (Sunset, SC)

Sold on a Monday
"A picture is worth a thousand words", but in the case of Ellis Reed, an aspiring news writer, it was the start of an adventure and mission to correct a terrible mistake. The setting of the story is Philadelphia and New York City in the 1930's long before today's 24-hour news cycle and the Internet, when big city papers were the ultimate news source and it was the hey day of photo journalism.

The central characters of Ellis and newsroom secretary, Lily Palmer, are committed to fixing a wrong for which they both feel responsible. "Sold on a Monday" is fast-paced and hard to put down. A cast of characters faced with life-altering choices make this a compelling story and will hold the reader to its surprising conclusion.
Kristen H. (Hagerstown, MD)

Not the Right Sale
This is the first book by this author that I have read. I found her writing to be very good and I thoroughly enjoyed the story. It seemed that the Ellis the journalist who took the original picture of the children for sale sign along with the children seemed like a good thing to report. However, the picture was ruined and Ellis needed to recreate the picture. Seemed innocent enough except that when he returned the children had already been sold. He noticed that there were children next door, Ruby and Calvin, so he approached them and asked if he could take their picture. Unfortunately, these 2 children were not for sale. The story is well written and the characters are described so well that one feels that you know them like they were your best friends. I am excited to read more from this author.
Janet S. (Terrace Park, OH)

Heart Warming Read
Sold On A Monday hooked me immediately, It tells the tale of an American family hardship during the Great Depression. Not only do you feel such compassion for the two children that have been sold...but I was cheering all of Ellis Reed and Lily Palmer's actions/efforts to return the two children to their own mother. It is a powerful read filled with lots of emotion. I recommend it!
Annie P. (Murrells Inlet, SC)

Children 4 Sale
Children 4 Sale, the 1929 depression, choices and consequences. Kristina McMorris' novel "Sold on a Monday" explores the sale of children during the depression. Was it desperation or avarice? Two children, their mother, a reporter's chance photograph and story change lives in unforseen ways. A glimpse into a piece of unforgettable American history. Terrific.

• Book Jacket: The Latecomers
    The Latecomers
    by Helen Klein Ross
    The Latecomers is the third novel written by acclaimed author Helen Klein Ross, following What Was ...
  • Book Jacket: The Inflamed Mind
    The Inflamed Mind
    by Edward Bullmore
    It is common knowledge that depression diminishes the quality of sufferers' lives, but few people ...
  • Book Jacket: The Adults
    The Adults
    by Caroline Hulse
    Things have already fallen apart on the first page of The Adults. The novel opens with an emergency ...
  • Book Jacket: News of Our Loved Ones
    News of Our Loved Ones
    by Abigail DeWitt
    The Delasalle family of Abigail DeWitt's News of Our Loved Ones are no strangers to the dark specter...

Force of Nature
by Jane Harper

As atmospheric, tense, and explosive as her New York Times bestselling debut, The Dry!

House of Stone
    by Novuyo Rosa Tshuma

A masterful debut, pulsing with dark humor, that explores the often destructive act of history-making.

Win Uncommon Type

Uncommon Type
by Tom Hanks

Surprising, intelligent, heartwarming, and a must-have for Tom Hanks fans!

Tell I T T M