Read what people think about The Kennedy Debutante by Kerri Maher, and write your own review.

by Kerri Maher

The Kennedy Debutante by Kerri Maher X
The Kennedy Debutante by Kerri Maher

There are currently 22 reader reviews for The Kennedy Debutante

Gail L. (Dallas, TX)

Outstanding Historical Fiction
I have enjoyed reading about the Kennedy family for years, and I love well-written historical fiction. Kerri Maher has written an excellent book. She has managed to accurately capture a complicated period of history, bring the Kennedy family to life, and introduce us to a marvelously interesting character. Sometimes fictionalized history does not seem realistic, but this book Is fabulous! I highly recommend it.
Joy N. (Scottsdale, AZ)

The Kennedy Debutante
I loved this book. It is the most enjoyable read I have experienced this year. I knew nothing of the Kennedy women and enjoyed learning about them even though this was a fictional story. I never realized how much their religion affected their lives.
Diane W. (Lake Villa, IL)

One of the best I've enjoyed in a while...
Historical fiction is my favorite genre, and this book did not disappoint! I read it cover to cover in a short span of time (for me!) as I couldn't seem to put it down. The Kennedy family has always been a fascination for many of those in our generation, and though this was "fiction", I'm sure that it was based also on a good deal of fact. As others have pointed out in their reviews, much is known about the Kennedy men, but little about the women. I was intrigued by all the factors that impacted their lives and decisions and knew nothing about Kick and all that influenced how her life unfolded. A very captivating read and much recommended.
Diana C. (Delray Beach, FL)

It all seems like a beautiful dream...
The words Kathleen "Kick" Kennedy wrote to her father in 1939 and again in her diary in 1943, "it all seems like a beautiful dream..." echo hauntingly in this moving and fascinating account of the life of Kathleen Kennedy. Often the Kennedy family is viewed as fanciful or mythical and this book brings them all to life as the people they are, imperfect and human. In Kick, the author has created a convincing and compelling character, with a humanity that makes it feel as if she is a friend or someone we once knew personally. I loved the interaction with her brothers and sisters, which made this book all the more heartwarming. I look forward to more historical fiction biographies from this author whose prose and authenticity made the book a joy to read.
Erica M. (Chicago, IL)

Kick Kennedy - American Princess/British Marchioness
Oh how I loved this book! Full disclosure: I am an absolute fan of historical fiction and absolutely cannot get enough of all things Kennedy. If you are not a fan of either, you might not feel the way I did about this book.

Yes, Kick Kennedy was a privileged, pampered, watched-over American princess, but after understanding that (and forgiving it) Maher truly had her come off as her own being (as opposed to being in her brothers' shadows) and willing to give of herself, understanding the privilege under which she lived, donating her time, talent and treasure. I knew only the basic outline of her life (and death) and this book filled in the detail and gave it color. I thought that Maher did an excellent job of showing the depth of Kick as a partner/volunteer/employee and lover of her family, religion and the man she married.

Is it appropriate to call a book "delicious" any more? It was short of gossipy about a character who was talked about all of her adult life. So good!
Cam G. (Murrells Inlet, SC)

The Kennedy Debutant
I have been a fan of the Kennedys for a long time, and well remember the day when JFK was elected President of the US! While I knew that Kathleen Kennedy had died in a plane crash many years before, I knew very little about "Kick"until reading this book...I realize that this is a novel, however, it does let us know more about what she was like. It sounds as though she was a. brave, brash person so typical of he Kennedy family! Ms Maher has given us a very good book!
zNE cabin girl

The Kennedy Debutante
This is a great summer read. A story about a very powerful U.S. family set mostly in London. A story about a Catholic girl and her strong faith and the issues she has to deal with in love and family. Historical fiction with lots of personal stories. Those who are drawn to reading about the Kennedys will enjoy it. Well written and easy to read.
Terry P (Arkport, NY)

Kennedy Debutante is a winner!
This book was a pleasure to read, from beginning to end. The story filled me in on a part of the Kennedy family that I had no knowledge of, and that I found fascinating to immerse myself in. I enjoyed Kick Kennedy as a person, and suffered for her wish to remain true to herself and her family, even when her heart wanted something completely at odds with her upbringing. It will be easy to recommend this title to my friends and to discuss at book club. I look forward to seeing more by new author Kerri Maher.

• Book Jacket: The Kinship of Secrets
    The Kinship of Secrets
    by Eugenia Kim
    Of our 20 First Impressions readers who submitted reviews for The Kinship of Secrets, all rated it ...
  • Book Jacket: Empire of Sand
    Empire of Sand
    by Tasha Suri
    Tasha Suri's debut novel, Empire of Sand, reads like something out of 1001 Arabian Nights, both ...
  • Book Jacket: In Byron's Wake
    In Byron's Wake
    by Miranda Seymour
    It's tempting to think that our age of celebrity worship coupled with the 24-hour news cycle is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Latecomers
    The Latecomers
    by Helen Klein Ross
    The Latecomers is the third novel written by acclaimed author Helen Klein Ross, following What Was ...

Force of Nature
by Jane Harper

As atmospheric, tense, and explosive as her New York Times bestselling debut, The Dry!

House of Stone
    by Novuyo Rosa Tshuma

A masterful debut, pulsing with dark humor, that explores the often destructive act of history-making.

Win To Lay To Rest Our Ghosts

To Lay to Rest Our Ghosts

"Caitlin Hamilton Summie is our modern Chekhov."
- Savvy Verse & Wit