Read what people think about Strangers in Budapest by Jessica Keener, and write your own review.

by Jessica Keener

Strangers in Budapest by Jessica Keener X
Strangers in Budapest by Jessica Keener

• Published in USA  Oct 2018

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Strangers in Budapest

Joelene D. (Mechanicsburg, PA)

Inside look of Budapest
I enjoyed this book and getting to know the characters. Annie and Will with their enthusiasm to start fresh in a perceived budding economy and Edward Weiss with his own agenda. It was very atmospheric and a great escape into a little-known world. The story had some intrigue as well and kept me entertained till the final conclusion.
Judith S. (Binghamton, NY)

Travel to Budapest
Take a trip to Budapest compliments of Jessica Keener. The author transports the reader to modern day Budapest and swiftly immerses one in the culture, history and current landscape of a country at once beautiful and sad. Added to one's visit is to accompany a young American family on their exploration of the city and hope for the future and their connection to an elderly American in Budapest with a secret purpose. An enticing read. The author's descriptions of everything Budapest from the smells of the city, exhausts from cars, food (and beer) jewelry, gypsies, architecture, Hungarians and their perception of Americans are superb and well worth reading. The book is a travelogue with action and mystery.
Lorraine P. (Lindenhurst, IL)

Hungary through differing eyes
The author presents us with a multifaceted plot starting with a wonderful look at Budapest, Hungary just after her Independence from Russia. We learn about her distrust of Americans but the love of the dollar and the still held bias of some of her citizens. I do plan on trying some of the sausages and liquor mentioned in the book. Any emotion you can think of is touched upon in the book, love, lust, anger, revenge, fear... Its peopled with a variety of characters, a WWII survivor seeking revenge, an American couple seeking to strike it rich and escape their past. I really enjoyed spending time getting to know everyone in this book. I just wish the author had an afterward on the current conditions in Hungary. A bit more on Hungarian food would have been appreciated too.
Annette S. (Duluth, GA)

Strangers in Budapest
Several reviews of Strangers in Budapest start with the sentence, "Budapest is a city of secrets, a place where everything is opaque and nothing is at it seems." That is exactly the atmosphere that Jessica Keener captures in this novel.

It is to this city that a young couple (Will and Annie Gordon) with their infant son Leo come in the 1990s so that Will can pursue a business opportunity that will build communication networks in rural Hungary. They soon befriend an elderly man who involves Annie in an act of revenge for the death of his daughter.

You will be immersed in Budapest's post-communist period. The strong characters and engrossing plot make this an unforgettable novel.
Sharon J. (Raleigh, NC)

Strangers in Budapest
The author, Jessica Keener, did a wonderful job weaving in the culture and history of Budapest with multiple story lines of dealing with loss of their loved ones. The main character, Annie, struggles to find truth with no so black and white events. The characters are well developed and make their time in Budapest very real.
Joyce W. (Rochester, MN)

Hungary's history
This book gave a very good description of Budapest. I toured there five years ago. The city is beautiful, especially at night from the river. The communist buildings are bleak and the country has a long history of being subjected to other countries domination. The author created an atmosphere of secrecy and foreboding which was well done. I would have preferred that the characters were more likable and that the ending be more creative.
Sharon P. (San Diego, CA)

Loved the setting! Story pretty good.
It's always a fascinating journey to read a story set in another country and culture. For that I nearly always love the book. This story was good...not perfect, but good. I didn't really feel it was a thriller or page turner, but I enjoyed the pace nonetheless. I enjoyed the complexity, grouchiness and secrets of Edward the most, while having only basic compassion for the Will and Annie. It was an enjoyable read and recommend it for that.
Ilyse B. (Howell, NJ)

Beautifully Written
This beautifully written story discusses many issues: impression vs truth, fact vs fiction and the lengths we will go for our family. Each character was fully developed, and I found it very interesting how they all viewed each other. There might not always be only one truth and many things can affect how we view the world. It was fascinating to put together all of the different perspectives. I love a good expat story and this one did not disappoint.

• Book Jacket: Educated
    Educated
    by Tara Westover
    Voted 2018 Best Nonfiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

Tara Westover had the kind of ...
  • Book Jacket: Circe
    Circe
    by Madeline Miller
    Voted 2018 Best Fiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

Towards the end of Madeline Miller...
  • Book Jacket: Children of Blood and Bone
    Children of Blood and Bone
    by Tomi Adeyemi
    Voted 2018 Best Young Adult Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

What would you do if, in a ...
  • Book Jacket: Where the Crawdads Sing
    Where the Crawdads Sing
    by Delia Owens
    Voted 2018 Best Debut Novel Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

Where the Crawdads Sing was a ...

The Removes
by Tatjana Soli

A powerful, transporting novel about the addictive intensity and freedom of the American frontier.

The Travelling Cat Chronicles
    by Hiro Arikawa

A life-affirming anthem to kindness and self-sacrifice.

Win The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

The 7 ½ Deaths of
Evelyn Hardcastle

"Agatha Christie meets Groundhog Day...quite unlike anything I've ever read." - A. J. Finn

The Big Holiday Wordplay: $400+ in Prizes