MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Read what people think about Extraordinary Adventures by Daniel Wallace, and write your own review.

Extraordinary Adventures

by Daniel Wallace

Extraordinary Adventures by Daniel Wallace X
Extraordinary Adventures by Daniel Wallace

• Published in USA  May 2017

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Extraordinary Adventures

Mark O. (Wenatchee, WA)

An Extraordinarily Good Reading Adventure
It's no surprise that Daniel Wallace, author of Extraordinary Adventures, is the director of a creative writing program. This is a book to practice reading like a writer. The characters are painted in layers. Subplots weave as graceful as a pod of dolphins. Particularly, there are collectible sentences.

There is also quiet suspense, a count-down, not to an extinction-level event but to a Yoda moment: "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Extraordinary Adventures is a teaching story, a reminder that just about everyone, at every age and all the time, is quietly mustering up the courage to deal with the tough bits of their life. For me, reading this book was an empathy enhancement procedure (EEP).
Barbara C. (Riverside, CA)

Sixty years ago, I had a boyfriend sorta like Ed.
I found this whimsical story very engaging. I know a lot of socially inept people like Ed. He muddled through and learned a lot in those 95 or so days. There were many glitches in this tale. Ed had great resolution to his problem at the end which he earned. The promise of future happiness was certainly dangled on the last pages.
Jan T. (Leona Valley, CA)

Extraordinary Aventures
Edsel receives a call offering a weekend getaway the only catch is he has to be part of a couple. His extraordinary adventures begin as he pursues a girlfriend (he has 79 days.) It is a charming, witty, and sometimes sexy tale of reinventing oneself. It is ultimately a story of friendship told with humanity. You will find yourself rooting for Edsel and wondering how it will all end. I would highly recommend this quirky but heartfelt book.
Barbara K. (Brooklyn, NY)

Read This Book!
For quite a while I have been yearning for a REALLY good book to immerse myself in. This beautifully written tale,written by Daniel Wallace, featuring Edsel Bronfman, is it!

Extraordinary Adventures is a sad, yet hopeful story illustrating that is is never too late to see the world with new eyes, to change. One small act can catapult someone into a better, new place.

As we travel along with Edsel we observe that even small shifts in his behavior can set in motion a set of circumstances that seem almost miraculous! As a caterpillar emerges from a cocoon, turning into a beautiful winged creature, we see that Edsel had untapped abilities rooted inside him waiting to emerge.

This hopeful book illustrates that it is never too late. Life can change for the better.The world in flux is rife with new beginnings.

What a wonderful book! Read it!
Kenan R. (Liberty, MO)

LOVE!
I requested this book because Daniel Wallace wrote Big Fish - not that I had read it mind you - but the movie was so magical I had to try his new novel. It did not disappoint - I loved it!

Edsel Bronfman travels through the world on the outside looking in. He wants to be inside - he just needs to figure out how to do it. When a random telemarketer informs him he has won a trip to Destin, but has to bring a companion and has 79 days to cash in the offer - he is spurred into action. Bronfman opens up to life and discovers that every ordinary happening can be extraordinary. Populated with funny, off-beat characters Wallace's story moves quickly and hilariously along allowing us a front row seat for Bronfman's excellent ride. With a deft hand Wallace delivers a perfectly balanced tale of a man too timid to fully live and too terrified not to try. I rooted for Bronfman throughout and was reminded that an unexamined life is not really a life at all.
Mary A. (Columbus, OH)

Extraordinary Adventures
I really enjoyed this book. I would characterize it as deceptively simple. Daniel Wallace has written an extraordinary, quirky, coming of age novel. The characters are eccentric and pique the reader's interest. The plot provides the motivation that Edsel Bronfman needs for his adventures. The real strength of the novel is the well developed characters and Wallace's descriptions.

Edsel Bronfman has wandered through his 34 years, knowing that something is missing from his life, but he can't quite figure it out. Bronfman's mother, Muriel is senile, but has moments of lucidity. Bronfman cannot always tell when she is lucid. Sheila McNabb flits first one way, then another, unable to find an anchor. Thomas Edison is Bronfman's neighbor and drug dealer. Serena Stanton is the local cop. Wallace brings them together. As I read the book, Bronfman and Sheila became my friends. When I finished reading, I wanted to know about their next extraordinary adventures.
Mary Anne R. (Towson, MD)

Edsel's Adventures
This is a fun novel to read. The protagonist, Edsel, is the type of person I at times felt very sorry for. At other times I laughed out loud with him and cheered for him The author created a delightful and memorable character.

Edsel's quest for a partner to join him on a trip to Florida propels the story. Events take place that are magical,sad and stressful but Edsel remains steadfast and focused.

Edsel changes as the story develops. He grows in confidence,becomes understanding and forgiving and has a hope for the future.

All the characters are well-developed. I especially liked Sheila.

I am glad I read this author and will read more by Daniel Wallace.
Marci G. (Sicklerville, NJ)

Extra - Ordinary Adventures
This Book is Extraordinary! In the fashion of A.J Filkery, A Man Called Ove, Britt- Marie Was Here, this books deals with the mundane part of life with a whimsical bent. Edsel Bronfman see his life as forgettable. He does not like change, he does not understand people and people do not understand him, if they even think about him! A mysterious phone call offering him a free visit to a beach condo in Florida sends him into a tail spin. With the stipulation that he brings a guest and attend a short time presentation, he agrees to the trip. Now who will he take? Except for his mother, Edsel does not know any one he can take. His journey to find a woman who would be willing to go with him sends him in all sort of crazy directions. Frustrating, fun and heartwarming, I couldn't put this book down!

• Book Jacket: Between Two Fires
    Between Two Fires
    by Joshua Yaffa
    It was thought by many that the fall of the Soviet Union would transform Russia from a totalitarian ...
  • Book Jacket: This Is Happiness
    This Is Happiness
    by Niall Williams
    Niall Williams's This Is Happiness offers an extraordinary portrait of a particular moment in the ...
  • Book Jacket: In the Dream House
    In the Dream House
    by Carmen Maria Machado
    In the introduction to In the Dream House, Carmen Maria Machado (a National Book Award finalist for ...
  • Book Jacket: Father of Lions
    Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan
    Our readers have given high marks to Father of Lions by Louise Callaghan. Out of 21 reviewers, 18 ...

Small Days and Nights
    by Tishani Doshi

A captivating and clear-eyed story of two sisters, set against the backdrop of modern India.

Remembrance
    by Rita Woods

A breakout debut with modern resonance, perfect for fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
by Kim Michele Richardson

A story of raw courage, fierce strength, and one woman's belief that books can carry us anywhere.

Win The Adventurer's Son

Publishing Soon!
The Adventurer's Son

"A brave and marvelous book. A page-turner that will rip your heart out."
--Jon Krakauer