Reader reviews and comments on A Map of The World, plus links to write your own review.

A Map of The World

by Jane Hamilton

A Map of The World by Jane Hamilton

Dec 1999, 352 pages
    Dec 1999, 352 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for A Map of The World

Darcy (08/15/11)

Surprisingly uplifting
I nearly didn't read this book due to the summaries that called it "harrowing" and "dark" which are book types I tend to avoid. I am so glad I gave it a chance because it absolutely moved me. I felt challenged to think in a completely new way with regard to the deeper themes involved in marriage and parenthood and life in general. The writing is so introspective and honest in the way it reveals unspoken narratives that run through the character's minds. Despite the very horrible events that took place in the story, I came away feeling surprisingly positive while reading this book.
Rosemary (10/16/10)

One long Summer
The story was so real that it kept you reading to find out what happens next. The story was a sad one to read, but the people in the story gave life to the everyday happenings in small town neighborhoods.
Midwest/coast woman/mother/friend (09/27/10)

2 many omissions
Perhaps I read to much non-fiction, but the description of daily life lacks the acknowledgment of required survival skills just to live in Wisconsin.

The story feels contrived and my feelings manipulated.

Really I don't want to sound harsh, but from my perspective it rates barely average.
Tim (07/05/10)

A map of the world - Quick pointform review
Pros:

Plot surrounds something very unfortunately real and allows most readers to relate and become emotionally involved.

Characters (main) are likeable are well presented

Cons:

Excessive 'filler'. The book could have dropped 60 pages and actually improved
It's a slow story that requires patience to not put down, definitely not a 'can't put down'. I had to take many breaks in reading this book to get thru some of the more pointless storytelling
Cassie (10/17/04)

This book is a work of art. It was very enjoyable to read and I often couldn't put it down. Hamilton is an amazing writer.
Peter D. Haight (10/16/04)

I've only just started this book; however, I can tell that like any exceptional art it is "a spiritual message among people".
Preena (04/20/04)

I thought this book quite broing to read!! it had too much psychological depth for my taste, but anybody who is interested, go ahead!! enjoy!!
Theresa (04/19/02)

A wonderful book with unforgettable characters, none of which you will endear to. All of which you will relate to. Right down to Emma and her temper tantrums.

• Book Jacket: Salt Houses
    Salt Houses
    by Hala Alyan
    Salt Houses is the story of a Palestinian family living in Nablus; it begins on the eve of the ...
  • Book Jacket: The End of Eddy
    The End of Eddy
    by Edouard Louis
  • Book Jacket: If We Were Villains
    If We Were Villains
    by M L. Rio

Extraordinary Adventures
    by Daniel Wallace

A large-hearted and optimistic novel that is witty, winsome, and wise.

The Scribe of Siena
    by Melodie Winawer

At times, our own light goes out, and is rekindled by a spark from another person.

T's A S B Every M