Reader reviews and comments on A Map of The World, plus links to write your own review.

A Map of The World

by Jane Hamilton

A Map of The World by Jane Hamilton

Dec 1999, 352 pages
    Dec 1999, 352 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for A Map of The World

Darcy

Surprisingly uplifting
I nearly didn't read this book due to the summaries that called it "harrowing" and "dark" which are book types I tend to avoid. I am so glad I gave it a chance because it absolutely moved me. I felt challenged to think in a completely new way with regard to the deeper themes involved in marriage and parenthood and life in general. The writing is so introspective and honest in the way it reveals unspoken narratives that run through the character's minds. Despite the very horrible events that took place in the story, I came away feeling surprisingly positive while reading this book.
Rosemary

One long Summer
The story was so real that it kept you reading to find out what happens next. The story was a sad one to read, but the people in the story gave life to the everyday happenings in small town neighborhoods.
Cassie

This book is a work of art. It was very enjoyable to read and I often couldn't put it down. Hamilton is an amazing writer.
Peter D. Haight

I've only just started this book; however, I can tell that like any exceptional art it is "a spiritual message among people".
Theresa

A wonderful book with unforgettable characters, none of which you will endear to. All of which you will relate to. Right down to Emma and her temper tantrums.
Tim

A map of the world - Quick pointform review
Pros:

Plot surrounds something very unfortunately real and allows most readers to relate and become emotionally involved.

Characters (main) are likeable are well presented

Cons:

Excessive 'filler'. The book could have dropped 60 pages and actually improved
It's a slow story that requires patience to not put down, definitely not a 'can't put down'. I had to take many breaks in reading this book to get thru some of the more pointless storytelling
Midwest/coast woman/mother/friend

2 many omissions
Perhaps I read to much non-fiction, but the description of daily life lacks the acknowledgment of required survival skills just to live in Wisconsin.

The story feels contrived and my feelings manipulated.

Really I don't want to sound harsh, but from my perspective it rates barely average.
Preena

I thought this book quite broing to read!! it had too much psychological depth for my taste, but anybody who is interested, go ahead!! enjoy!!

• Book Jacket: The Amber Shadows
    The Amber Shadows
    by Lucy Ribchester
    The Amber Shadows sweeps readers into the realm of World War II-era Britain where Honor "Honey" ...
  • Book Jacket: Midwinter Break

Love and Other Consolation Prizes
    by Jamie Ford

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E