Reader reviews and comments on The Tenth Circle, plus links to write your own review.

by Jodi Picoult

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

Mar 2006, 400 pages
    Oct 2006, 416 pages

There are currently 16 reader reviews for The Tenth Circle

Michelle

Loved it.
I actually loved this book. I love most of her other works, and I fell in love with the father, Daniel. How he seemed to be this monster, trapped inside himself, but hidden away to protect his family.
Kearstin

Similarities
The words in Jodi Picoult's book seemed to have jumped out at me, the realizations of the disconnection between children and their parents seemed to just draw me in like a bug to a light. The sexual conflict of a young girl being raped and not knowing whether it was real or fiction, and the lash out of an angered individual ending in death would be enough to send you from page 20 through the end, I loved this book it spoke to me as an individual and if you want a page turner this is your kind of book, I highly recommend it.
Cassie

The Tenth Circle
It was a great read for me. Being a 17 year old, I know what it feels like to have peer pressure to look beautiful and to have my status based on that and the boy my arm is hooked with. It was also gripping for me to see the extent that a father would go to for his little girl. Daniel reminds me of my father, and he is my favorite character in any book so far. I can't wait to read more of Jodi Picoult.
Jan Brady

The Tenth Circle: Jodi Picoult
This is an excellent book! It shows a very young a naive girl named Trixie who is very young and naive about dating. She does everything she can to make her ex-boyfriend stay with her. This is a great book for people who have ever been through a relationship that was very depressing for them, and read this book. It is also a very graphic book. It is a great book, I hope you enjoy it. Another book of hers is My Sister's Keeper. BEST BOOK!!!!!!! all of her books have a twist ending, like nothing you'd ever think about! AMAZING!!!!
Jennifer

The Tenth Circle
This book was wonderful. It kept you on the edge the whole time. I couldn't put it down. Jodi is a great author. I have read several of her books and have loved all of them.
Emey

Good
It was a well written book, but not as good as her others.

And you got the hidden message wrong. It's actually: nothing is easier than self deceit for what each man wishes that he also believes to be true.
Sam

Interesting Quandary
Completely unimpressed with some of the first Picoult I read, I always expect a similar reaction and have begun to be surprised by her offerings.

Reading the early chapters, I expected to write that the family relationships were poorly developed, with the mother character being virtually disregarded. But I have to say the book developed well, and naturally, and the correlation to Dante's Inferno was drawn better than I expected.

The digression, and it was a digression, to compare the novel to the classic was probably necessary for those who have not studied classics. The discussion of the nine circles of hell, and whether there are new sins which require new circles is a common topic, as is the idea of a tenth circle. But, it could have been worse.

The insertion of the comic genre was another distraction, especially if one stops in the course of reading to look for the hidden letters. (Either do it before reading, or after, if you look). If she wanted to discuss Demosthenes, it could as easily been done during the 'circles' commentary.

We were led down a (too) brief road with Jason, learning to like him just a little, and left without much resolution to his character. Is he a typical teen, without malice? Was he intentionally redeemed? Perhaps Picoult could not make up her own mind, thus left it to the reader. This always irritates me, though, and detracts.

So, why begin this by saying I was pleasantly surprised, and the book was well-developed? In spite of everything wrong with it, and there is more than I list here, I finished it with the definite feeling I had not wasted my time, and had spent a pleasant two days getting to know some pretty interesting folks. Especially Daniel's dad..... talk about no character development.
Polly Eden

whats the secret massage
Just finished the 10th circle. Very good. Can't find all the letters in the pictures to get the secret massage . Only found 65 letters. Can any one out there help? Pollyeden@blueyonder.co.uk

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: The Rules of Magic

by Francesca Hornak

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F