Read what people think about Precious Thing by Colette McBeth, and write your own review.

by Colette McBeth

• Published in USA  Mar 2014
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 33 reader reviews for Precious Thing

Carrie (04/21/16)

The Precious Thing
I didn't get it. I didn't know who was the bad guy. At the end Clara makes you think that Rachel is seeing things differently but if you remember the events from the beginning, it doesn't seem that way. The book in general keeps you guessing without revealing anything in the end. I got that its a long letter so if that's the catch then that's very good because its only one point of view.
Cynthia C. (Peekskill, NY) (02/20/14)

Precious Thing
I found this to be a very enjoyable psychological thriller and mystery. Written as a series of letters to her best friend, the point of view is obviously very narrow, which as some have pointed out, can make for an unreliable narrator. And that, to me, is what made it so interesting. There were numerous twists & turns in the plot and as the story went on, it got darker and darker.

I will certainly be looking for more from Ms. McBeth.
Wendy W. (Ann Arbor, MI) (02/13/14)

Rough start, but smooth finish
I had a hard time getting into this book. The literary device of writing the story as if it is a letter to somebody took me while to get used to. However, what starts as a pedestrian missing person story eventually turns into an intriguing psychological thriller with a twisty conclusion.
Wendy R. (Pewaukee, Wisconsin) (02/12/14)

Sure of your Best Friend?
Even when you think you know your best friend, have shared poignant moments and would do anything for her, life has a way of surprising you. Whether you were blinded by love for her, never asked the right questions or thought silence speaks volumes, this book will take you down a path you never expected. I was smitten from the beginning wondering how well I knew my best friend. The plot twists and turns into darkness with plenty of psychological intrigue. I would highly recommend to book clubs for thought provoking discussion. Is she really your best friend or are you being used at all costs, even human life.
Gail I. (Delray Beach, FL) (02/12/14)

Intriguing
Comparisons aside to Gone Girl, this book has a unique style and will be one you cannot put down. I like books about friendship and how people change over the years. I found it to be an interesting novel.
Teresa H. (Mechanicsville, VA) (01/30/14)

Rather Twisted
If I had the option I would give this 2.5 stars. It is slightly more deserving than a 2 if for no other reason it held my interest to the end. This book is so full of twists and turns that I was never sure what was real or imagined and felt rather off-kilter until the end. I kept comparing it to The Other Typist as I was reading it except I found the characters in Precious Thing to be fairly contrived and unbelievable overall.
Pamela F. (Grants Pass, OR) (01/29/14)

Wish I had read this before Gone Girl
This book drove me crazy. I did not like the main character or the narrative style. The craziness of the "friendship" drove me crazy. I, however, kept reading for all the plot twists and turns. Gone Girl is a read alike I am pretty sure. But it is a better book. Maybe I would have liked this one better had I read it first. Although I had a hard time finishing this, I did want to know how it ended and there is something to be said for that.
Susan B. (Coventry, RI) (01/21/14)

Precious Thing
Once I began reading this book I found it difficult to put it down. The plot demanded that you continue right to the surprise ending.The story involves two women who have been friends since they were children. There's a secret about their closeness that is not revealed right away. It is part of the mystery that keeps you reading. What happens to them as adults is the bulk of the novel. It is highly dramatic, very dark and scary in some parts.I don't usually read from this genre but it was a well written book and it kept my attention right up to the very end. I frequently read two books concurrently but could not do so once I began this book. It demanded my attention so that I couldn't concentrate on anything else. I needed to finish this and find out what was happening to these women. When I got to the end I wanted to go back and read the book again so I could remain in the atmosphere that was created in the book. I'll give this book a 3 and a half rating.

• Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    The Guineveres
    by Sarah Domet

Win All the Gallant Men

All The Gallant Men

The first memoir by a USS Arizona survivor, 75 years after Pearl Harbor.

K Y Eyes P