Read what people think about The Spirit Keeper by K. B. Laugheed, and write your own review.

by K. B. Laugheed

The Spirit Keeper by K. B. Laugheed

There are currently 20 reader reviews for The Spirit Keeper

Molly B. (Longmont, CO)

A Delight
I hope this is the first of many by Ms Laugheed. She has created a fun and compelling story with a strong heroine and vast travels across unsettled lands. There are many important themes, including the power of communication both practiced and withheld, the transforming influence of belief, and the peaceful logic of the divine natural world. My favorite lines, spoken by a Native American, are these: "Life is not perfect anywhere. People are not perfect. But my people do not seek perfection. We strive for balance. We enjoy life as we find it, the good and the bad. We are grateful for all." I'm grateful for this book and would like to read more of Katie O'Toole's adventures, for which the tale is well established.
Gary R. (Bolingbrook, IL)

A great journey!
Being a fan of James Fenimore Cooper's Mohican books, I looked forward to going back to that time, and The Spirit Keeper does not disappoint. It's the story of Katie O'Toole, the thirteenth child of a family living in the Pennsylvania wilderness who's home is raided and the survivors captured by "savages". But the book is so much more; Katie decides to go with the two strangers back to their land. There her journey begins! Through the course of the book I began to wonder who the real savages were? In my opinion, a really good read,whose characters stick with you long after the last page is turned.read it, see if you agree! Just remember,don't lean against the current, go with the flow!
Lesley M. (Mesa, AZ)

It was worth it!
I enjoyed the journey this book took me on. The main character, Katie O'Toole, has had a difficult life (in 1747, settlement Pennsylvania). She s rescued from a dismal future by someone very unexpected. A Native American and his friend see a different future for Katie and thus the story begins. As the story unfolds, you learn a great deal about the Native American culture, traditions and rites. I had a hard time putting this book down. It was definitely worth it!
Robin F. (Tucson, AZ)

The Spirit Keeper
The only problem with this book was that it ended! Katie must have found a way to send her journal to someone. What a wonderful journey she and Hector must have had, but I want to know the rest of their story. Does Laugheed plan a sequel?
I enjoyed every moment of the book and will recommend it to my book club.
Anne J. (Saint Paul, MN)

The Spirit Keeper
Wow…loved this book so much!
I have read books before about settlers being captured by Indians but this book is by far the best one I have ever read.
I was hooked from the first page, being an Irish gal I loved the story of the big Irish family always on hard times because of booze, I have a big Irish family and the stereotypes of the drunk Irishman can be, sadly true…. That being said, This is the story of Katie O'Toole, a beaten down, poor Irish girl with nothing in life to look forward to except beatings by her mother and who is the thirteenth child in her family and amazingly of the Indian Holy man Syawa, who has been dreaming of her and starts on the long journey to find the woman of his dreams. "The Creature Of Fire and Ice"
Syawa and his protector and friend, Hector come many miles to find the red haired, blue eyed creature who they call fire and ice, when they do find her there is bloodshed and Katie and some of her family are killed and captured, eventually Katie has an opportunity to travel with the Holy man and his protector and friend, Hector to fulfill his vision.
This is a beautiful love story on many levels. The love between friends, family and life partners.
Katie and the happy and always smiling good-natured Syawa become close very quickly and fall in love along their long journey, hector the very handsome and brooding protector seems also to be falling in love as they all get closer many adventures befall them, and some with terrible and scary consequences.
I so love the idea of a spirit keeper, so beautiful, mystical and full of love
I enjoyed the river crossings when Katie was told she stunk but, she hated getting wet and saw no reason to bath more than once a month, if that!
I love that Katie takes big, bold scary chances and was able to leave her dysfunctional family behind, sometimes the hard choices are the best choices.
I loved the characters, the adventures and the scenery that was depicted This story has a fairytale quality about it and I was able to get completely lost in the pages. I could have read about Katie and Hector for many more books and was sad when it ended.
This book would also be perfect for my 15 year old niece, who I will pass it on to.
I think I too fell a little in love with Syawa just like Katie and Hector…:)
Bess W. (Marlton, NJ)

An Awesome Journey
I thoroughly enjoyed Katie's adventure--was able to read the book this holiday weekend on the beach. Thirteen has always been my lucky number and as the thirteenth child I knew Katie was going to be lucky. Her journey through the wilderness and her discovery of herself was quite an adventure. The three main characters, Katie, Syawa and Hector were well developed and multidimensional. You felt you knew them. The writing is very descriptive and enables one to visualize the journey and the characters. This would be a good pick for a book club.
Mary Lou C. (Shenandoah Junction, WV)

Spellbinding
This tale held my attention from beginning to end. I couldn't put it down. The characters were quite well developed and interesting, and I felt I was accompanying them on their long journey into the wilderness. Katie, this very young woman, took a leap of faith and her courage and determination carried her through a wonderful adventure to a fulfilling new life.
Ilyse B. (Howell, NJ)

A Great Read
I absolutely loved this book. It was many things - a love story, an adventure story, and a tale of overcoming obstacles. It was also the best sort of historical fiction-a book that makes you feel as though you are in a different time and place. The author seems to have a real love for nature - the descriptions of the places the main characters travel on their journey are really beautiful. In addition, the language is very accessible - I was pulled right into the story and finished it in 2 days. The characters were very well drawn and interesting. My only complaint is that the story ended abruptly - I wasn't ready for it to end! I really hope the author is working on a sequel. I highly recommend this book.

• Book Jacket: Before We Sleep
    by Kate Moore

Win News of the World

The Weight of Ink
    by Rachel Kadish

An intellectual, suspenseful, and entertaining page-turner.

T's S I Numbers