Read what people think about Once We Were Brothers by Ronald H. Balson, and write your own review.

Once We Were Brothers

by Ronald H. Balson

Once We Were Brothers

• Published in USA  Oct 2013
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Once We Were Brothers

David M. (Glendale, CA) (08/03/13)

A Powerful, Riveting Tale of Love and Betrayal
Despite being a voracious reader, this is truly one of the most fascinating and memorable books I have read in a long time. Set in both the Holocaust and modern day Chicago, the author masterfully intertwines suspense, romance, tragedy, and a 60-year old mystery that is not resolved until the end of the novel. We Were Brothers is a page-turner that I found almost impossible to put down. Although much of the story takes place in darkness of Nazi-controlled Poland, I was pleased with the positive and uplifting conclusion to the story.
William B. (East Peoria, IL) (08/01/13)

Once We Were Brothers Fails
I really hate to give bad reviews, but this book fails on a couple of levels. First, the writing is pedestrian. Secondly, the plot is difficult to accept. There are numerous inconsistencies and logical difficulties. Perhaps most troubling to me as a seasoned reader of this period (Poland during the Nazi period), the author gets the history wrong. I could almost go no further than page 44 when speaking of 1935 and Heydrich's secretary, Balson suggests she "knew about the plans for the Final Solution! It just gets worse after this. A well educated attorney that needs the basics, and I mean basics, of the Holocaust explained to her. The entire mechanism for the unfolding of the story is terribly "clunky"

• Book Jacket: Barkskins

The Imperial Wife
    by Irina Reyn

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All