Read what people think about Once We Were Brothers by Ronald H. Balson, and write your own review.

Once We Were Brothers

by Ronald H. Balson

Once We Were Brothers

• Published in USA  Oct 2013
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Once We Were Brothers

David M. (Glendale, CA) (08/03/13)

A Powerful, Riveting Tale of Love and Betrayal
Despite being a voracious reader, this is truly one of the most fascinating and memorable books I have read in a long time. Set in both the Holocaust and modern day Chicago, the author masterfully intertwines suspense, romance, tragedy, and a 60-year old mystery that is not resolved until the end of the novel. We Were Brothers is a page-turner that I found almost impossible to put down. Although much of the story takes place in darkness of Nazi-controlled Poland, I was pleased with the positive and uplifting conclusion to the story.
William B. (East Peoria, IL) (08/01/13)

Once We Were Brothers Fails
I really hate to give bad reviews, but this book fails on a couple of levels. First, the writing is pedestrian. Secondly, the plot is difficult to accept. There are numerous inconsistencies and logical difficulties. Perhaps most troubling to me as a seasoned reader of this period (Poland during the Nazi period), the author gets the history wrong. I could almost go no further than page 44 when speaking of 1935 and Heydrich's secretary, Balson suggests she "knew about the plans for the Final Solution! It just gets worse after this. A well educated attorney that needs the basics, and I mean basics, of the Holocaust explained to her. The entire mechanism for the unfolding of the story is terribly "clunky"

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

The Girl Before
    by JP Delaney

An enthralling psychological thriller of duplicity, death, and deception.

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk
    by Kathleen Rooney

"Effervescent with verve, wit, and heart" - Booklist, starred review

Win No Man's Land

No Man's Land
by Simon Tolkien

The Sellout
    by Paul Beatty
    Paul Beatty's The Sellout was one of those books that flew somewhat under the radar when it was...
  • Book Jacket: Ruler of the Night
    Ruler of the Night
    by David Morrell
    Amateur sleuth Thomas De Quincey is back in a mystery set in Victorian England. This time, he and ...
  • Book Jacket: A List of Cages