Read what people think about Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde, and write your own review.

Walk Me Home

by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde X
Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde
  • Readers' rating:

• Published in USA  Apr 2013

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Walk Me Home

Power Reviewer Barbara O. (Maryland Heights, MO)

Survivors
Great read for book clubs. Two sisters each coping and surviving true to their individual personalities. Survivors. Beautifully written, their story told in glimpses, just enough facts revealed to keep the reader curious to know what happened. Loved it.
Linda J. (Manchester, MO)

Walk Me Home
"Hard to put down" is an over-used term, I believe, but in the case of "Walk Me Home," I would have to use just those words. Author Catherine Ryan Hyde wrote "Pay It Forward" so it should come as no surprise that her newest book would deliver. 16-year old Carly and her 11-year old sister leave their home in the dark of night under circumstances not fully divulged until halfway through the book. They are walking from New Mexico to California to find their Mom's ex-boyfriend, Teddy, who Carly believes will take them in. In Arizona, they are caught trying to steal chickens from an old Native American woman, and the story really takes an interesting turn.
A typical stubborn teenager, Carly can easily exasperate readers until they realize her motives, however misplaced. Jen is content to follow Carly to a point, and when that point is reached, Hyde leads readers down a path that makes one wonder how this can have a good outcome. This book is well worth the time spent.
Deb Y. (Blanco, TX)

This book SHOULD be read!
Catherine Ryan Hyde writes no bad books. This should be the only thing you need to know about it....................anything else would be spoiler!
Paula K. (Cave Creek, AZ)

Sister Power
Walk Me Home is why I love Bookbrowse First Impressions. Otherwise, I would never have read this wonderful book or met its author whose earlier works I can't wait to read. I pretty much devoured Walk Me Home in one setting – aboard a 4-hour plane ride that felt like four minutes, and finished the rest in the car on the way home from the airport. Luckily I was not driving.

Walk Me Home begins with sisters Carly and Jen, ages 16 and 11, in the first of many crises. They are escaping by bicycle from an event that takes much of the book to unwind. Hyde perfectly captures the angst of youth with the push-pull of sisterhood. While some of their crises may lack perfect plausibility they do capture a terrific story which enjoys the magnificent setting of the western U.S.
Patricia S. (Yankton, SD)

Poignant and Suspenseful
In her novel Walk Me Home Catherine Ryan Hyde has given us a poignant portrayal of two young girls, all alone in the world, walking from New Mexico to California in search of a home. The characters are skillfully drawn, the plot is suspenseful with flashbacks utilized to reveal the back story, and the descriptions of people and places are beautifully developed. When I received this book I thought it would take me about five days to read. Instead I read it in a day and a half and found it almost impossible to put down. It is a great novel for both adults and young adults. I already miss stubborn, opinionated Carly, and gentle wise little Jen.
Jan M. (Broken Arrow, OK)

Wow, a number 5!
This was a terrific book, it caught me in the first pages and held tight until the last. It was so well done, that I "felt her pain" as Carly made her way across the country in search of someone to love and take care of them. I could have strangled her mother, and from the beginning, I was afraid Teddy would disappoint her. The author's character descriptions were subtle, yet really made me feel I knew them. I'll be recommending this book to my book club.
Power Reviewer Anna R. (Oak Ridge, TN)

Great book!
This book got me with the first page. The thought of two girls ages 16 & 11 walking across several states to find someone the older girl thinks will "save" is so scary. But what were these girls to do? Life has not be kind to them. The people they meet, some good, some bad, caused me to read this book in two afternoons. The writing is wonderful and the story is wonderful. I will be sure to recommend this book to my book group. It is a must read!!! It shows there are still some good people out there.
JMarie S./Tn.

Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde
The characters come alive and draw the reader into the action of the story.The plot is filled with a depth of understanding of the realities and tragedies that occur as a result of dysfunctional families. Sorrow , and injustice is replaced by the kindness of the characters that interact with the two teenagers along the way to finding home. As fiction, it offers book clubs a great opportunity to explore personalities, choices made by the characters, and decisions that are made based upon what you want to believe versus facts.
It also provides for a good discussion of bias and prejudice. The finality of the choices made leaves one a little sad , but also leaves the reader with hope for the future in spite of the past.

• Book Jacket: The Last Ballad
    by Liv Constantine

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

The Story of Arthur Truluv
    by Elizabeth Berg

The good writer, the great writer, has what I have called the three S's: The power to see, to sense, and to say

E Dog H I D