Read what people think about The Good House by Ann Leary, and write your own review.

The Good House

by Ann Leary

The Good House by Ann Leary X
The Good House by Ann Leary

• Published in USA  Jan 2013

There are currently 27 reader reviews for The Good House

Virginia P. (Tallahassee, FL) (11/28/12)

The Good House by Ann Leary
The Good House dealt with social issues such as alcoholism, infidelity, a special needs child and the slowing of the economy to name just a few. The author did a good job of portraying an alcoholic in denial as well as life in a coastal resort town inhabited by old timers trying to hold on to their family property versus newcomers with money. The author's ability to handle the issues was commendable though as the book ended I was left not knowing how some were resolved, if they were. Perhaps too many issues were presented in one book. This was a sobering story so it is hard to say that I enjoyed the book or that it was entertaining. I did not find it funny as the book jacket suggested, but sad that lives were being wasted. To use this book as a discussion in a book club could bring up unhappy memories for some members that might be unknown, so I would not recommend it as a book club choice.
Katherine Y. (Albuquerque, NM) (11/26/12)

A delightful narrator
This is a fun quick easy read and the narrator, an alcoholic real estate agent, is a pleasure to spend time with, but the plot didn't really engage me. The main character is very well conceived and convincingly executed, but the other characters in the book (her children, ex-husband, new friend and lover) all seemed flat and stereotypical, so ultimately the plot wasn't very interesting.
Dorothy M. (Maynard, MA) (11/17/12)

A Wonderfully Honest (if deluded) Narrator
In The Good House Ann Leary has created an appealing although seriously flawed character who will have you rooting for her even as you are appalled by her behavior. Set in a upscale north shore Massachusetts town with it's townies and its wealthy newcomers and Hildy Good as the realtor who knows all the secrets, this book provides a realistic and often amusing look at a changing community. Hildy's lack of self knowledge and self delusion is only outweighed by her assurance that she can really read people. I read this in a single sitting - hoping that Hildy would finally get her act together.

• Book Jacket: The Ensemble
    by Tessa Fontaine
  • Book Jacket: The Female Persuasion
    The Female Persuasion
    by Meg Wolitzer
    A college freshman struggling for identity. A 1960s feminist icon attempting to maintain her ...
  • Book Jacket: A Lucky Man
    A Lucky Man
    by Jamel Brinkley
    If his debut collection of short stories, A Lucky Man is any indicator, Jamel Brinkley is poised on ...

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

The Girl Who Smiled Beads
    by Clemantine Wamariya & Elizabeth Weil

A riveting story of survival, and the power of stories to save us.

Win The Comedown