Read what people think about The Imposter Bride by Nancy Richler, and write your own review.

by Nancy Richler

• Published in USA  Jan 2013
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 24 reader reviews for The Imposter Bride

Carol G. (Little Egg Harbor, NJ) (12/16/12)

The Imposter Bride
Although I prefer action based books, this was a very well written character based novel that I would definitely recommend to my book club and friends. My one criticism would be that the book was somewhat sombre.
All questions about Lily were answered by the end of the novel, but I did expect more drama about her.
I think this book will especially be enjoyed by mothers and daughters with special relationships with each other. This book does give one much to reflect about and that to me is very important.
Julia B. (San Antonio, TX) (12/12/12)

Compelling Story
I began reading The Imposter Bride skeptical the story would be rich enough to keep my interest. Having just finished it, I can say I was wrong. I was engaged with the characters and the complexities of their lives from the opening pages. Richler has given us a story of caring but troubled people. Then she reveals why they are troubled and why this still have hope. It reminds me of Sarah's Key. The Imposter Bride would be a good selection for a book group.
Daveann D. (Eureka, MO) (12/12/12)

Had potential
The Imposter Bride in the beginning was intriguing and nicely humorous with an interesting storyline. I like more adventure and twsting plots in a novel, but I think many will find this book enjoyable.
Karen L. (Wilton, IA) (12/08/12)

Enjoyed the book.
The mystery of Lily/Yanna caught me in the first chapter and held my interest. It reminded me of Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier in that the main focus of the book is a character who isn't there most of the time. It also reminded me of The forgotten Garden because of the mystery and going back and forth in time from past to present. The characters were very well developed. I did think Richler dropped the ball at the end of the book. I'm not sure what she should have done differently but I was left wanting more to wrap things up. The ending felt rushed to me and was the main reason I didn't give the book a 5.
Jeff M. (Morris Plains, NJ) (12/06/12)

The Imposter Bride
A mother's instinct is to protect their child, not abandon them abruptly without a reason. The mystery behind this disappearance is the heart of the story and the driver in reading the book. You feel compelled to learn as much as possible about this mother from other characters in the storyline. The daughter, mother-in-law and adult friend provide tidbits of information throughout the story until near the end when a hidden identity situation is revealed and explained. Didn't know whether I would particularly enjoy this book at the outset, but it held my attention and I would recommend it, especially to book clubs.
Virginia W. (Chapel Hill, North Carolina) (12/05/12)

Review of The Imposter Bride
This thought provoking novel is about identity and what defines it. Themes include how disaster, emotional upheaval, aging and even geographic relocation strongly impact our identities. Largely told through a young girl's search for her mother with clues along the way from an old diary written in Yiddish and the fragments of memories and perceptions of her relatives concerning her mother the "imposter". It is about our universal need "to know where we come from, to connect it to who we are and where we are going". I think there is much for book clubs to discuss from this story and the personal connection most readers are likely to feel.
BamaCarol (Indian Springs VIllage, AL) (12/05/12)

The Imposter Bride
I wanted to love this book but in the end I just liked it. I have read quite a few books lately about WWII and the aftermath and the premis of the book interested me. The book is from the view of Lily, the imposter, and her daughter, Ruth. I felt like the husband and daughter did not really want to find out about Lily or what happened to her and that part was slow for me. Like I said, the book was OK but I have read much more compelling novels about this time period so it would be difficult for me to recommend this one over others.
Lisa R. (Salem, OR) (12/04/12)

Beautiful sense of place
I enjoyed this book, and felt like the author really gave me a sense of the family and the emotions. I also enjoyed the Jewish references, and how the family interacted with each other. Also the realistic depiction of the people - not everyone was sweetness and light, but they were more like the everyday people we know.

Updated Review:
I wanted to add more to my review, but I had to think about this book for a bit. It was hard to put into words how I felt about it, so my first review was somewhat bland. This is a wonderful, moving, poignant book. I had to absorb parts of the story before I could move on to the next part. The undercurrent of feelings was so realistic, and at the end, I was crying. I think this was a humanistic portrayal of the understanding and misunderstanding of people that survived the war, or perhaps, more honestly, made their way through the war, as only they can know.

• Book Jacket: Barkskins
    Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All