Read what people think about Salvation of a Saint by Keigo Higashino, and write your own review.

by Keigo Higashino

Salvation of a Saint by Keigo Higashino

• Published in USA  Oct 2012
    Genre: Noir

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Salvation of a Saint

Neil W. (Tavares, FL)

Intriguing, Excellent Mystery
This is an intriguing novel that holds you in suspense until the end. It is well written and easy to read. An almost perfect murder was committed until Detective Kusanagi, his Assistant, Utsumi, and Physics Professor, Yukawa (former Detective Galileo) combine their talents and theories to solve the mystery. The title of the novel is a bit mysterious itself. Highly recommended.
Lisa R. (Salem, OR)

Interesting Read
This was a new author to me, so I don't know any of the backstory for these characters, but it was entirely possible to read this book as a standalone. That said, I am going to look for the previous books, as I enjoyed the mystery, although I was fairly certain who the culprit was, although not how the crime took place, or even totally why until the end. The only thing that took me out of the story a little bit, is that it is fairly obvious (or was to me) that this story has been translated into English. The dialogue and phrasing are such that the language didn't quite flow as we expect it to in English. That said, I just reminded myself I was reading in subtitles! There was no bad language, no sex, and surprise, surprise, the story was still great. That is something I definitely appreciate sometimes, although I think we have become somewhat accustomed to that now. Overall I recommend this book, and will search out more by this author!
Lenni H. (Dallas, TX)

It's All in the Water
Keigo Higashino has done it again. Last year his mystery The Devotion of Suspect X won praise and awards, as American readers were introduced to his Detective Galileo series. Now Salvation of a Saint presents an equally intriguing murder case. And like Devotion, this mystery begins by telling the reader who the murderer is and why it happened. The compulsion to keep reading comes from watching Detective Kusanagi and his new female assistant Utsumi, as they consult with physicist "Galileo" Yukawa to determine who poisoned the victim's water, and how. It seems to be a perfect crime, and the victim's wife is so perfect that Kusanagi begins to fall in love with her.
Translated from Japanese, the dialogue sounds formal to the American ear, but makes you aware of the foreignness of Tokyo, even in today's global culture. All the characters' emotions are far beneath the surface, but the reader comes to understand, and in most cases to sympathize, with complex people caught in a complex plot.
Arden A. (Lady Lake, FL)

Another Intricate Murder
I was fortunate to have reviewed this author's prior book, "The Devotion of Suspect X," when it was offered for review two years ago. I am particularly happy to now have the chance to read and review this novel, as well.

The familiar characters are back with a new mystery. Detective Kusanagi and Yukawa, the physicist dubbed "Detective Galileo," are joined by junior detective Utsumi to solve a murder. Again, it is an intricate plot that unwinds slowly and methodically. Cultural differences abound, and perhaps those cultural issues contribute to the method and timing of the murder. In addition, the Japanese are exceedingly polite and civilized to suspects and witnesses alike during their investigations, very unlike what our police procedure reflects. The methodology of the police department itself adds further contrast to crime-solving in our country, as well as an additional level of enjoyment. It is a very well thought-out and well-written novel, an excellent read, and I enjoyed it even more than the first one.
Kathleen B. (Las Vegas, NV)

ANOTHER HIGASHINO WINNER
Last year Keigo Higashino's THE DEVOTION OF SUSPECT X was my favorite book of the year. I was so pleased to receive a copy from Book Browse of SALVATION OF A SAINT, ARC.
This is an intelligent and suspenseful mystery. I love the difference in the detective style of Japanese detectives as shown in this novel.
This was about a troubled marriage ending with the poisoning death of the husband. The main suspect being his wife with an air-tight alibi.
The conundrum is how was the crime committed?
The fascination with the book lies in watching the detectives work.
I enjoyed this book and I think you will too, especially if you are mystery fan.
Sherrie R. (Fort Worth, TX)

Salvation of a Saint
I really liked this book. I was intrigued about the relationship between Ayane and Hiromi. Once Yukawa got involved in the investigations, the book went to another level.
I was intrigued by the different ways Kusanagi and Yukawa approached the murder. Once Kusanagi interviewed Kunio Sasoak, I couldn't put the book down until I reached the stunning conclusion. I reread the book in my mind once I had a different perspective on what was really going on!
Great for book clubs.
This would appeal to anyone who loves mysteries.
Beth B. (New Wilmington, PA)

Don't miss this!
Have you ever played 52-card pickup with a deck of playing cards? I was reminded of that experience while reading the well-written and suspenseful Salvation of a Saint. Police, detectives, forensics, and even a professor collaborated to pick up all pieces of evidence in a keep-you-guessing homicide case. You'll enjoy the skillful building of suspense in this quick read. I guarantee you'll not regret the romp through this terrific account of an able team solving the "almost perfect" murder.
Lori E. (Wayland, MA)

Salvation of a Saint
I thoroughly enjoyed Salvation of a Saint which I received through the First Impressions program. I would never have known that this book was translated from Japanese; the translator did a great job. This book is completely different from The Devotion of Suspect X which I also greatly enjoyed. Although the solution to the mystery is far-fetched, the book was unique and thought-provoking. I highly recommend this book to mystery-lovers who don’t want formulaic books.

• Book Jacket: The Force