Read what people think about The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle, and write your own review.

by Victor LaValle

The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle

• Published in USA  Aug 2012
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Devil in Silver

Beverly J. (Huntersville, NC)

Will the Real Devil Stand Up
For a novel labeled as literary horror is was an absorbing yet strangely tender read raising questions through the wit, humor and dignity of the fascinating characters. The author gives voices to an invisible often misunderstood population. How Pepper became a resident in a psychiatric ward is totally believable and scary as who does not have some behavior in our pasts that could not be interpreted as a sign of mental illness. During his first night, Pepper is attacked by a hideous creature whose presence seems normal to both staff and patients. But, as Pepper is schooled on the protocols by the other residents – learning the creature is ‘the devil behind the silver door” is the visible demon as the more deadly demons are often the ones within the mind. Challenged by their restricted environment – the residents dig deep within themselves to slay the devil. It is the touching resident’s stories that will linger long after the last page.
Bob S. (Lawrenceburg, IN)

multiple genre
If you want to connect gentle humor with biting satire, wonderful insight into human character with a psychological thriller, then Victor LaValle's "The Devil in Silver" is your book. Even through the scenes of Gothic horror runs a affirmation of the goodness of human nature when we are free and able to make choice in the most difficult places--as Frankl points out, our lives have meaning as we give them meaning. Wonderful plot writing, fascinating characters, and the wacky bunch that make up this worthy successor to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Here you'll find the joy, despair, and hope of those in mental hospitals, but without the dark pessimism that pervades so much of the literature.
Kathleen W. (Appleton, WI)

The Devil In Silver
I simply cannot stop thinking about the characters in this book. I can't say that I enjoyed The Devil in Silver because it is so disturbing, but it is very well written and definitely worth reading. I kept reminding myself that this is fiction, this is fiction, but am haunted by the thought that it might actually be based on reality.
Power Reviewer Daniel A. (Naugatuck, CT)

The Devil in Silver
This is a well written and amazing book. It has the undertones of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", but instead of dealing with Nurse Ratchett, there's a monster in Ward 4 as the main protagonist, Pepper would say.
There are many twists and turns in this story, and I couldn't put the book down. I enjoyed reading it.
I highly recommend this book to anyone that enjoys a good mystery thriller.
Jeanette L. (Marietta, GA)

The Devil in Silver
The story takes place in New Hyde mental hospital in Queens, NY where Pepper is taken after an altercation with undercover police even thought he does not belong there; Pepper realizes that he is now locked in a mental hospital. The first friendly face that comes to greet him is Dorry a long time patient who feels a friendly face should be the first thing anyone sees as she gives Pepper a tour of his new home. Many of the mayor players are very well developed giving us a look at the treatment of mental patients. I loved this book I had a hard time putting it down and when I did the characters remained with me.
Jane N. (Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey)

The Devil in SIlver
This is the first book that I have read by this author and I really enjoyed it ! This is not meant to be funny, but you will find yourself laughing out loud at some of the scenes. Life in an underfunded and understaffed metal hospital is not suppose to funny but sometime life is stranger than fiction and the interplay between the two works really well in this book. There is a lot to think about and discuss in this read. Enjoyable and highly readable.
Katherine Y. (Albuquerque, NM)

Not Like Anything Else You've Read
"The Devil in Silver" is another great book by Victor LaValle, author of "Big Machine." His work is creepy and interesting and smart and weird. For readers who enjoy a book that isn't like anything else they've read - this is the author for you.
Gail G. (Northbrook, Illinois)

The Devil in Silver by Victor Lavalle
It was love at first page for me. The characters are engaging and well fleshed out. It was easy to know them even if they were not "normal;" but what is a realistic definition of "normal"? Everyone has an area where they may seem a little "off"--and that is normal!

The author points out how very frustrating the way in which certain "public officials" and companies in responsible positions often function poorly in the reality of a situation by short-changing procedures necessary for the good of patients. Greed and need to control influences their decisions often to the detriment of the patients in mental institutions as well as other similar institutions for example immigration judgement decisions.

Although Pepper's (novel's main character) stay at Northwest was most unpleasant and even though he really didn't belong there he under-went a personality change and transformation, moving him from a juvenile thinking and acting out adult to one who became responsible and caring and one who also accepted reality for what it is.

On the last page of the book there is a sentence which summarizes what is important for humans to be and it is almost like a religious experience.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: The Rules of Magic

by Alison McGhee

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F