Read what people think about Niceville by Carsten Stroud, and write your own review.

Niceville

by Carsten Stroud

Niceville by Carsten Stroud

• Published in USA  Jun 2012

There are currently 21 reader reviews for Niceville

Kelly H. (Martinsville, IN)

Niceville-I don't think so!
Wow! What a crazy, creepy, fun read! Took me forever to pick up this book, but once I did, I could not put it down. I have never read anything like this, but now I want more! Stroud is an amazing storyteller. This book has a lot of characters and a lot going on, but Stroud manages these characters and events flawlessly. I did not think this book would be for me, but I loved it, and will be passing it on.
Nancy C. (Newton, KS)

Niceville: Not So Nice
It is impossible to put this book down. Carsten Stroud has woven a fascinating plot that manages to keep multiple characters and their stories from losing their way. This novel is a blend of great fiction with a twist of the supernatural. A missing boy, a well planned bank robbery and a secret weapon combine to to hold the readers attention. The characters are well developed as the plot unfolds. I can't help but wonder if Stroud plans to write a sequel to tie the lose ends together. Regardless, this is a book that will stay with you for a long time.
Debb R. (Grand Island, NE)

A New Favorite Author!
Niceville is a scary,exhilarating ride! I loved every minute of it! Rainey Teague is one frightening little boy and his world will keep you keep you reading until the wee hours. A bit reminiscent of Dean Koontz in intensity and so entertaining. Carsten Stroud, Hats off to you,I am a new fan!
William E. (Honolulu, HI)

"unputdownable"
Not a word but describes my reaction to the book! I agree with Mr. Leonard when he wrote that it's a great read! Reminded me of a Robert Altman film with all kinds of unharmonic convergences on many different planes. Am at a loss to describe my reaction but I highly recommend it for a wild ride in anything but Niceville.
Paula W. (Winfield, IL)

10 Thumbs Up
Startling. Creepy. Violent. Funny. Unique. Unpredictable. Puzzling. I could not put this amazing tale down. If only Josh Whedon would make it into a movie! It's not for the faint-hearted, but it's a rollicking good read.
Heather K. (Brooklyn, NY)

Not is all it seems in "Niceville"
Not by a long shot (pun intended, which you'll certainly "get" if you read this novel!). And should you read "Niceville?" Why yes, you should, and here's why: it is terrific!

It's a novel of bank robbers and moral bankruptcy, revenge and retribution, honor and deceit, plus a decades-old betrayal and the dreadful, supernatural manner in which some characters are paying for that treachery. Throw in international intrigue and treason. Blackmail. Inexplicable disappearances. Perversion. I know it sounds like a chaotic mess ... but it's not.

Despite numerous characters, and several plot-lines, Carsten Stroud keeps his novel rolling along at a quick pace, and his characters are so well-designed and developed you never feel lost in the book. You've got good guys -- detective Nick Kavanaugh and his wife Kate, Kate's dad, Nick's police partner, Beau; and you have some seriously bad guys, including another cop named Coker, and Byron Deitz, Nick's brother-in-law. You have ghostly, menacing characters bent on revenge.

And you have terrific dialogue, really likable characters (including some of the bad guys -- while you aren't exactly rooting for them at least they show they have some decency under certain situations!), layers of mysteries, and a very satisfying conclusion. Well done, Mr. Stroud! Great book, fun to read, highly recommended!
Pepper E. (Lawrenceville, NJ)

Suspenseful!
Creative, richly imagined characters will keep you turning the pages of this book. Set in the small secret-rich southern town of Niceville, some residents may not have truly died after all, and old family feuds still rage. I prefer my plots without the fantasy, but I thought the characters were the saving grace. Stroud reminded me of Carl Hiaasen, only darker and grittier. The bad guys were perfectly despicable! I'd like to see them again.
Kwen

OK
I only read it because I am from Niceville, Fl...yes there's actually a town called Niceville. Anyways it was an alright book but maybe it's because I was expecting the characters to be like the people who live in this town, a bunch of red neck hillbillys, I didn't really find it all too interesting.

• Book Jacket: Forest Dark
    Forest Dark
    by Nicole Krauss
    In Forest Dark, Nicole Krauss presents parallel stories of two people who leave New York to stay in ...
  • Book Jacket: The Amber Shadows
    The Amber Shadows
    by Lucy Ribchester
    The Amber Shadows sweeps readers into the realm of World War II-era Britain where Honor "Honey" ...
  • Book Jacket: Midwinter Break

The Twelve-Mile Straight
    by Eleanor Henderson

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E