Read what people think about The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe, and write your own review.

by Katherine Howe

The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe X
The House of Velvet and Glass by Katherine Howe

• Published in USA  Apr 2012

There are currently 22 reader reviews for The House of Velvet and Glass

Elinor S. (Loudonville, NY)

The House of Velvet and Glass
Wonderful! I really loved this book. Well written and informative. I think this would be a wonderful read for a book club. It was so heartfelt with the feelings of loss of the sister and mother. The popularity of the seances and the availability of the opiates was information that I had not thought of before. Love, academia, upper class privilege and exotic travel were all included to make this a really good read
Judy B. (Cedar Falls, IA)

THE HOUSE OF VELVET AND GLASS
I couldn't wait for the next cliff hanger to resolve itself. The characters, complex, and enjoyable kept me turning pages to know more about them. Historical details made the novel feel like nonfiction.
Sandra L. (Delray Beach, FL)

The House of Velvet and Glass
I enjoyed this book very much. Loved the images Ms Howe's words painted of pre WWI Boston, old Shanghai and the Titanic. This is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic and the book is timely. It tied in well with my recent reading of "The Technologist" by Matthew Pearl.
Kristen H. (Hagerstown, MD)

The House of Velvet and Glass
I enjoyed reading this book by Katherine Howe. The characters in the book are described very well. As I have read in her first novel, The Physick book of Deliverance Dane, she ties in the lives of the characters extremely well. Once again, this author has written a great historical novel and I would recommend this book for book clubs or anyone that would enjoy a great historical read.
I am glad that I was able to read this first impression book, thank you for the opportunity.
Sandra G. (Middleton, WI)

Top-notch historical fiction
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Every time I had a few spare minutes I wanted to get back to it. I would ordinarily not choose a book with a paranormal subplot, but Sybil's experiences were riveting. The elegant writing style, the rich language, and the masterful character development all added to the pleasure of reading. The wonderfully vivid visual imagery brought both people and places to life. This novel is a winner on all levels!
Bink W. (Sopchoppy, FL)

Wonderful characters and atmosphere
I enjoyed this book equally as much as her first and found the writing style consistent. She really brings one into the periods of history with accurate details and invention. The narrative goes between youth and old age as well as timelines before and after the sinking of the Titantic. Well worth the read if you enjoy historical fiction with a bit of romance.
Debra V. (Kenosha, WI)

Possible Bestseller
Really enjoyed iThe House of Velvet and Glass/i by Katherine Howe. I liked the way it moved from the present to the past telling more than one story and helping you understand the characters emotions. I liked the dating of the chapters so that you knew instantly what story was being told. Also liked the Afterword at the end and totally agree with the author's conclusions about that period in history. I will definitely read this author again, and would recommend to book clubs.
Laurie F. (Brookline, MA)

An Escape into Early 20th Century Beacon Hill
Wonderful, engrossing are the first words that come to mind after reading Katherine Howe's novel. Fabulous character development and descriptions of life during these times as the author delves into the not-so perfect lives of the Boston Brahmins. The book interestingly interweaves the issues of addiction, mysticism, tragedy and positive outcomes in the Ashton family tale. A great book to read on your own or discuss in a group.

• Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers