Read what people think about Bridge Of Scarlet Leaves by Kristina McMorris, and write your own review.

Summary | Discuss | Reviews | More Information | More Books

Bridge Of Scarlet Leaves

by Kristina McMorris

Bridge Of Scarlet Leaves by Kristina McMorris X
Bridge Of Scarlet Leaves by Kristina McMorris

• Published in USA  Mar 2012

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Bridge Of Scarlet Leaves

Bridge of Scarlet Leaves
This is a story that needs to be told, especially now when people are so divided. It is a story of two people, Lane and Maddie, who fall in love and marry the day before Pearl Harbor. It would be hard enough to start anew life in the best of times, they had to do in the worst of times. A good book well written and thoroughly enjoyable. A great book for book clubs as there is so much to discuss here.
Dorothy T.

Good read about a bad time
This is not the first book I have read about the internment of Japanese and Japanese Americans during World War II and the plight of POWs in Japanese camps, but it is definitely more heart-wrenching, as it includes the pain and regret of things said and done, or not said or done. But there is also a great deal of hope and healing for the characters. Kristina McMorris shows a true gift for character development, and her arrangement of the story keeps the suspense building. She handles well the conflict of cultures and how her characters build the bridges to span the divide. You don't need a book club to appreciate this one, but book club members will appreciate the discussion it will inspire.

Bridge of Scarlett Leaves
I found this book to be engrossing from the minute I picked it up. The book takes you through the lives of a number of people slightly before the day Pearl Harbor was bombed and continues on to the end of the war.
Needless to say, this saga pits American families, and American Japanese families against, and on occasion with each other throughout the time before , during, and after.
What was particularly interesting to me was that during much of the book I was thinking I like it,it it's an easy read, but it feels like so many books I have read in this genre.
However-sometime in the last third of the book, I had not realized just how captured I was with the story and the characters. Turns out, and I never do this, I actually shed tears a few times towards the end.
I also enjoyed the infusion of some Japanese words which made me feel like an American learning a language that I had no knowledge of.Having had to do this with my in-laws,who spoke little English when I met them, this was very realistic.
I would recommend this book highly. I can't wait to read the author's other book now!

• Book Jacket: Speak No Evil