Read what people think about Bloom by Kelle Hampton, and write your own review.

Finding Beauty in the Unexpected - A Memoir

by Kelle Hampton

Bloom by Kelle Hampton X
Bloom by Kelle Hampton

• Published in USA  Apr 2012
    Genre: Biography/Memoir

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Bloom

Pam C. (Artesia, NM)

What an absolutely amazing book and author! So brimming over with the joy of life and living. Kelle and her family were eagerly expecting a second child; the girl they hoped for turned out to have Down syndrome, but otherwise perfectly healthy. Her book is about the choices we make to cope with life. I have no experience being a mother, but her voice spoke to me after having lost my husband in December and helped me to embrace my grief and then go beyond it to an acceptance of all that is life. Kelle is an amazing lady!
Gail I. (Delray Beach, FL)

An Unexpected Blessing
This beautiful memoir of the birth of the author's second child is a lesson to us all. Having expectations for her second child and the future and realizing that her fantasy of perfection is not what life is about, Kelle leads on a journey from grieving over having a child with a handicap to support from her many friends and family members and finally acceptance and joy. I loved the photos since they made me feel as if I were part of her support group. Everyone has something. Sometimes we put too much emphasis on perfection instead of unconditional love and acceptance. It is gratifying that she found joy and learned a lesson from the birth of her "less than perfect" baby. We should all live up to our individual potential and not project our expectations upon others. A heart warming journey of life...
Linda P. (MEDFORD, WI)

A Book to be Savored
Bloom by Kelle Hampton is a wonderful book. Her prose and photos blend into a beautiful life-affirming journey about what really counts. I so enjoyed meeting her family through her words. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Run out and get this title. Enjoy!
Mary M. (Beverly Hills, FL)

Truly "perfect"
Kelle Hampton's memoir of her second, much anticipated, pregnancy and the birth of her second daughter is a poignant, hilarious, and ultimately enriching story of a journey to perfection. Kelle's beautiful daughter is born with Down Syndrome (not giving anything away here) and she is devastated. She loves her daughter with all her heart and soul, but is heartbroken at what she initially sees as a tragedy for both her girls. The story of her, and her family's journey to the realization that little Nella is absolutely perfect is a story of Kelle's own soul-transforming, personal growth and understanding of the full richness of life. Hampton is a lively writer, the family photos are a welcome and charming addition, and both girls are too, too cute! This book is absolutely worth reading.
Amber B. (East Sparta, OH)

The Story of a Rockstar Mama
I really enjoyed this book - especially the GORGEOUS photography of Kelle's beautiful children! While some of the memoir seems to be just a bit TMI (editing out the skinny-dipping story & endless beer references would have been just fine with me), Kelle writes with authenticity, courage, humor, and love. I was impressed with the incredible people in her support system, and she seems like a person you would want as a friend. There's no question that the world will be better because of Nella - and her Rockstars.
Susan J. (Twain Harte, CA)

The Power of a Mother's Love
Kelle Hampton holds nothing back, revealing all her conflicting feelings about her Down Syndrome daughter Nelle's birth. Her support system of 28 "sisters" may seem overwhelming to those of us who handle emotions more privately, but there is no doubt that her story is gripping and true. The photographs are beautiful and speak for themselves of Kelle's love for her daughters. "Bloom" is an excellent read for all mothers and would-be mothers.
Laura G. (Buffalo, NY)

Bloom Gives a Very Special Perspective
Bloom, by Kelle Hampton, is an amazing look into a woman’s journey from the life she expected, to the life she was given. It’s an intimate, sometimes heartbreaking, memoir of letting go of the life she thought she would have and embracing her “New Life”. Sometimes sad, sometimes funny, this book is a very quick read because it’s so very difficult to break the bond and walk away. The photos make it all so real and bring the reader right into the folds.
Selene M. (West Chicago, IL)

Bring the Kleenex
This was a very quick read only hampered by how often I had to wipe my eyes and blow my nose. It was poignant and true to life as we examine one mom's struggle with accepting a newborn with Down's Syndrome. The story takes us through the year long journey from shock and disbelief to acceptance and happiness. A sweet memoir.

• Book Jacket: Winter