Read what people think about Tides of War by Stella Tillyard, and write your own review.

by Stella Tillyard

Tides of War by Stella Tillyard X
Tides of War by Stella Tillyard

• Published in USA  Oct 2011
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 38 reader reviews for Tides of War

Mary G. (Purcellville, VA)

Tides of War Swept Me Away
Tides of War may have been Stella Tillyard's first foray into fiction writing, but I pray it will not be her last. That a biographer of her repute would be able to write a historically accurate novel was not in question. That she would be able to develop her characters-both real and fictional, so expertly was the delightful surprise. Tides of War is an absorbing and satisfying read on every level.
Theresa R. (SIERRA MADRE, CA)

Loved It!
What a great novel. I love historical novels but usually they do not meet my expectations, but this one grabbed me from the beginning and held my interest until the very end. I enjoyed the author's writing style and how she was able to bring so many different characters to life with such ease. Her characters were realistic and easy to care about. Although in the beginning it was difficult switching between characters and places, I came to really like going from city life to war life. Definitely looking forward to reading other works by Ms, Tillyard.
Mary B. (St Paul, MN)

Tides of War
I enjoy reading historical fiction and I liked this book very much. For me, it was not the type of book to read cover to cover in one sitting, but one that I could read over a period of time and savor. There were interesting characters both real and fictional and good interwoven stories. I enjoyed the strong female characters.
Leslie D. (Le Roy, NY)

"Tides of War" reveals true heroes--and imposters
Although slow starting, this superb historical piece depicts the Peninsular War in rare depth. From the home front to the battlefield, it’s an honest, raw view of war and its effects, where intensely sad scenes are countered by little rays of hope.
The portrayal of real people, including Wellington and his wife Kitty, financier Nathan Rothschild, and inventor Frederick Winsor, is outstanding and provides rich fodder for discussion groups.
Alyce T. (San Antonio, TX)

Tides of War
What a grand book. Stella Tillyard brought all the aspects of war into this book. With each character, one was able to feel the anticipation of war, the gore of war and the consequences and end of war through their eyes. I came to know everyone personally and felt their emotions and needs. It is a well written book that glides from scene to scene. I eagerly look forward to another historical fiction by Stella Tillyard.
Jill S. (Eagle, ID)

Tides of War
This is a great book for those who love historical fiction. Although it the story can be bogged down in characters and details, Tillyard did a great job in her research and portraying the reasons for the English entering the Peninsular War. I particularly liked this story because this is not a much written about time period.
Rebecca G. (havertown, pa)

Unique Novel of War
I am a big fan of historical fiction. Yet, although I love the characters and the history, I have to admit that the writing itself sometimes leaves something to be desired and the dialogue is often confusing and stilted. I imagine its difficult to create interesting conversations for people long dead from times long ago. This book about England and Spain during the time of the Peninsular War is an exception. While there are intriguing historical figures and lots of rich history, the writing is gorgeous. Ms. Tillyard allows us to feel the pain of war and the frustrations of separation of loved ones without all the blood and gore typical of war novels. I felt the horrors soldiers experienced and the loneliness and boredom of those left behind. The author's description of a bull fight was particularly haunting; I was able to experience both the pride and joy of the Spaniards as well as the nausea and disgust of the English soldier. I truly feel that this is a book for everyone and every book club.
Portia A. (Mount Laurel, NJ)

A superb book
Stella Tillyard has written one of the best books I've read in a long time. An historic novel can sometimes bog down, this one never did. Her plotting moves through several characters lives and through war and peace but my interest never flagged. The mix of real and fictional characters made the story even more interesting. This book is an excellent read.

• Book Jacket: The Overstory
    by Patricia Hampl

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

The Girl Who Smiled Beads
    by Clemantine Wamariya & Elizabeth Weil

A riveting story of survival, and the power of stories to save us.

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes