Read what people think about Proof of Heaven by Mary Curran Hackett, and write your own review.

Proof of Heaven

by Mary Curran Hackett

Proof of Heaven by Mary Curran Hackett

• Published in USA  Nov 2011

There are currently 14 reader reviews for Proof of Heaven

bookaddict11

Excellent First Novel
This book has more heart and depth than any I've read in a long time. I read it very quickly and found it hard to put down. The main characters of Cathleen, Colm, Sean, and Dr. Basu were well developed and I was able to connect with each of them in a different way. This book puts an interesting twist on the age old question of "What is Heaven".... and it dives deeply into the "concept" of Heaven, and how it is different for everyone. I look forward to more books from this author!!!
Power Reviewer Peggy

A Mother's Love
For me this was not exactly a fast read. I found the story very touching and an illustration of the power of love to protect and sometimes overprotect and live in denial. There is a lot of talk about faith in this book but there is a fairly good balance too with both sides shown, if still in extreme. You have the believers and the non believers so it isn't really preachy.

The author pretty much put her own life and experience into this book in the character of Colm. Children are incredibly strong when they have such illnesses. I found Cathleen overbearing at times especially in her refusal to accept Colm's feelings. I thought that Dr. Basu balanced it out as the outsider though.

This is an excellent book for reader's clubs. There is so much here that can be discussed from faith and what it means to family and how much the past influences the present. I'd say this book is more for older readers and by that I mean at least 16 yrs and up.
Power Reviewer Carol T. (Ankeny, Iowa)

Fast read, Good analogies
While some of Hackett's scenes are contrived and she frequently resorted to telling her readers what they should have gotten from a story or scene when she might have trusted them to "get the point" from what she was showing, the book is a good, fast read, with good analogies - searching and finding, what constitutes a family, the pain and pleasure of unconditional love. An excellent book for book clubs, or just for a few friends to read and discuss.
Deb Y. (Blanco, TX)

At Odds with the Other Reviewers So Far
I actually enjoyed the book. It was an interesting premise, I enjoyed the characters, and basically liked the whole book. For a first book, I didn't pick it apart - I just read.............and, to me, it was worth reading. Is it a classic? Probably not, but I certainly wouldn't discourage others from taking the time to read it. Lots of Catholicity (if people object to that), but I think MC Hackett writes about what she knows..........My two cents........
MBB

Proof of Heaven
Sorry to say, not one of my favorites. Although I lost interest several times I continued to read! I felt the characters reacted as any parent/family would. The entire book seemed "weak". I felt as if I was left hanging when I finished.
Power Reviewer Anna

Unusual
Proof of Heaven was easy to read. The subject matter was a bit sad and the ending confusing. The mother's devotion to her son was realistic because most Mothers would go to any lengths to save their child. I felt the ending left a lot of unanswered questions.
Catharine L. (Petoskey,

Good choice for book clubs
I personally did not like the book. It reminded me of The Shack. The first chapter was great, but after that the characters weren't developed, and the plot was predictable. I felt it was written on a Young Adult level. However, there are lots of discussable issues - Do miracles happen? Does heaven exist? Is religion necessary? I think book clubs would have lots to talk about.
Dianne S. (Green Valley, AZ)

What Happened?
I wasn't sure I liked this book in the beginning because of the amount of religion information shared. It seemed as though the author was preaching. In the middle I began to care about all the characters after they returned from Italy. Then I was lost again at the end. I titled this review "What Happened" cause the ending was so abrupt and weird that I really couldn't tell.

• Book Jacket: Forest Dark
    Forest Dark
    by Nicole Krauss
    In Forest Dark, Nicole Krauss presents parallel stories of two people who leave New York to stay in ...
  • Book Jacket: The Amber Shadows
    The Amber Shadows
    by Lucy Ribchester
    The Amber Shadows sweeps readers into the realm of World War II-era Britain where Honor "Honey" ...
  • Book Jacket: Midwinter Break

The Twelve-Mile Straight
    by Eleanor Henderson

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E