Read what people think about The Most Dangerous Thing by Laura Lippman, and write your own review.

The Most Dangerous Thing

by Laura Lippman

The Most Dangerous Thing by Laura Lippman X
The Most Dangerous Thing by Laura Lippman

• Published in USA  Aug 2011
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 33 reader reviews for The Most Dangerous Thing

Dorothy S. (Hendersonville, NC)

Secrets, lies, dangerous things!
This is my first Lippman read, and I was not disappointed. Family dynamics, intrigue and a whole gamut of emotional responses: this book had it all. I was, however, a bit confused by the continual shift of focus, not only among characters, but also between past and present. It was challenging to read and probably even more so, challenging to write. Kudos to Laura Lippman.
Mary Ann B. (Louisville, KY)

You never really know a person
Laura Lippman has written a story that stays with you after reading, because it makes you think about your own life and the people you know or think you know. This book keeps you guessing about not only the children we meet as adults, but their parents as well. Nature vs nurture will always be debated, and Ms. Lippman makes us think about both. If you like her stand-alones, I'd Know You Anywhere, and What the Dead Know, this won't disappoint.
Judith W. (Brooklyn, NY)

Unintended consequences.....
I would recommend this to anyone. I enjoyed reading about how secrets kept, and lies told to oneself and others can affect the lives of all involved. I also found the various relationships between and within the families and the children most interesting.
Lauren T. (Orlando, FL)

The most dangerous thing by Laura Lippman
Once again, Laura Lippman has written a wonderful character study. She really makes you think as you read about the five main characters and how an incident in their childhoods affects the rest of their lives and the lives of those around them. She has used an unusual technique here in that she has written the book in the first person plural. It took me awhile to get used to this as I started out wanting to know who the narrator was, but I quickly became acclimated as my attention was grabbed by wanting to know what happened next. This is a great read!
Beth P. (Chester, VA)

Another Laura Lippmann Winner
Laura Lippmann continues to write amazing stand alone books, in addition to her Tess Monaghan series. Her latest book, The Most Dangerous Thing, had me hooked in the first chapter. Her characters are so alive, they jump off the page. In this book she goes back in forth in time, dealing with adolescents and their secrets and their parents, with secrets of their own. In order to like a book I need to like the characters and I loved each one. The book is part mystery, part coming of age, and just one darn good novel. I would recommend it very highly.
Stefani H. (Richmond, VT)

We are our own worst enemy
This is the first Laura Lippman book I have read so I didn't know what to expect. I enjoyed reading a book that gave such an insightful journey through the human experience. The crime was secondary to the characters in this book. I liked it being character driven by people whose depth and own personal discoveries throughout the book kept me wanting more. I think there is a lot to discuss in this book that book clubs would enjoy talking about. Especially people looking at their life and choices from different ages.
Christine P. (San Francisco, CA)

The Most Dangerous Thing
Throughout this book there is a secret that is alluded to again and again. I really think the secret is something that changed as I read farther and farther into the book. Laura Lippman explores the perspectives of the people involved, why it happened and why it remains a secret. Guilt, penance and regret are all themes from this novel that would make it great for book discussion groups.
Eileen B. (East Moriches, NY)

Interesting Book
The book started out slowly and was hard to follow in the beginning. This is the first book from the author that I have read so I have nothing to compare to. The book was told by different narrators and there were times that I was unsure of who was talking at the time. The way the author incorporates the past with the present enhanced the plot and the mystery around the "secret" kept me reading on. The characters were interesting and the ending was unpredictable.

• Book Jacket: A Land of Permanent Goodbyes

• Book Jacket: Educated
    by Tara Westover

The House of Broken Angels
    by Luis Alberto Urrea

The definitive Mexican-American immigrant story from an acclaimed storyteller.

Win The Balcony

The Balcony
by Jane Delury

Sorry, we do not currently have an active wordplay!