Read what people think about A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny, and write your own review.

Armand Gamache Series #7

by Louise Penny

• Published in USA  Aug 2011
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 22 reader reviews for A Trick of the Light

Susan Q. (East Williston, NY) (07/15/11)

Pleasant Read
I haven't read any books by Louise Penny, but after reading A Trick of Light I will look for more of her books. I like mysteries and this book was exactly what I was looking for. I can usually predict the outcome of a story, but was pleasantly surprised that I didn't figure the ending out until the end...the way it's supposed to be!
Margaret M. (Troy, NY) (07/12/11)

Trick of the Light
Louise Penny's books just keep getting better and better. I have read all of her books and consider Trick of the Light to be her best. It has excellent writing and realistic character development of the recurring residents of Three Pines, a town so small it does not appear on any map. One has to wonder how so many murders could happen in such a small place. I would recommend this book to my book club and to anyone who enjoys a good book. Read it! You won't regret it.
Kate G. (City Island, NY) (07/12/11)

Another great visit to Three Pines
A Trick of the Light is the seventh in the Three Pines/Armand Gamache series of mysteries and is as well written and as enjoyable as the first book in the series. After the opening of artist Clara Morrow's solo show at the Musee in Montreal the villagers from Three Pines return home for a celebration. The next morning Lillian Dyson, a former friend of Clara's is found dead in Clara's backyard. Chief Inspector Gamache and his team are quickly trying to solve the case which revolves around the art world in Montreal as well as Clara's childhood. There is also drama with Gamache's team. Fans of the series will certainly enjoy this installment, but newcomers can easily catch up with these very interesting characters.
Annie F. (Dallas, TX) (07/12/11)

A Trick of the Light by Louis Penny
I’ve read all of the Three Pines series and enjoyed them immensely. Bury Your Dead was so good, both the plotting and the characters, I felt it would be hard to top. And while A Trick of the Light does not meet that high bar, it is still a worthy addition to Penny’s oeuvre. A Trick of the Light is all about relationships, those between friends, between spouses, between mentors and mentees; even between humans and pets. While watching Gamache solve the mystery of who killed an old friend of Clara Morrow’s in Clara’s garden, we get to revisit the Three Pines folks and Gamache's team, with Clara and Peter Morrow and Jean Guy Beauvoir center-stage. The reader is also treated to an inside look at the workings of Alcoholics Anonymous, from an author who knows it well. There are some tantalizing loose ends left dangling which I am sure Penny will sew up in the next installment, and I’ll be in line to read it.
Helen M. (Petaluma, CA) (07/10/11)

On the mark again
For the latest Louise Penny, I resolved to read very slowly, to savour each word. I am so glad I did. The characters keep developing, the mystery solved, the tension set for the next book. It all unfolded beautifully and made me glad. The strongest part seems obvious. Louise Penny gives us such a serene setting and maintains a very high level of tension and suspense. Yeah! You will not be disappointed.
Zonetta G. (Winter Springs, FL) (07/10/11)

A Trick of the Light
Louise Penny never fails to delight. Her charming characters become friends you would like to take home. She create pictures with words like an artist with brush and palette. I would highly recommend this book, as well as the rest of the Inspector Gamache series, to anyone who wants to lose herself in mystery, appealing characters and a clever but subtle plot.
Linda W. (Walnut Creek, CA) (07/10/11)

A Trick of Light
Louise Penny does an outstanding job on her character development. Her recurring characters seem like old friends, people you might like to meet. This time Clara is celebrated at a successful art show. A murder at the party afterwards dampens her spirits--especially when the victim is identified as someone Clara felt had betrayed her. as the story unfolds, we learn that this woman had harmed many others in her earlier life. At the time of her death she was trying to right things with those she'd harmed. With so many suspects, this mystery kept me guessing right to the end.
Carrol Ann S. (Ventura, CA) (07/09/11)

Storytelling at its' best!
Louise Penny did it again, crafted another Inspector Gamache mystery that made me wish I could move to Three Pines, that little village the maps forgot. If you are not familiar with Louise Penny, do yourself a favor, read 'A Trick of the Light', you'll enjoy every word!

• Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    The Guineveres
    by Sarah Domet

Win All the Gallant Men

All The Gallant Men

The first memoir by a USS Arizona survivor, 75 years after Pearl Harbor.

K Y Eyes P