Read what people think about Folly Beach by Dorothea Benton Frank, and write your own review.

A Lowcountry Tale

• Published in USA  Jun 2011

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Folly Beach

Roni S. (Pittsburgh, PA)

Folly Beach
I have never read a Dorothea Benton Frank book. I enjoyed “Folly Beach.” It is written juxtaposing a play within the novel. The novel is modern day and the play is in the twenties. One learns history about Porgy, the author Dubose Heyward, and how the story became Porgy and Bess.
I did find some of the conversational language trite.
Anyone who enjoys Ann River Siddons, Pat Conroy or “low country” books would like this book. Family relationships and romance make this a fun and educational read.
Elizabeth K. (glenshaw, PA)

Folly Beach
Dorthea Benton Frank takes us back to low country. This time we have the bonus of aquainting ourselves with George Gershwin, Dorthy Heyward and her husband DuBose. They were all involved with the writing of "Porgy" in 1925. It all came about after Cate, a new widow in contemporary times, moved to Folly Isand and lived in a tiny cottage named "Porgy House," where the Heywards once lived. The two time periods were intertwined beautifully.
Robin F. (Tucson, AZ)

Folly's Beach
I live in the Sonoran Desert with an ocean hundreds of miles away. I think heaven must look like Folly's Beach with oyster shell roads and houses on stilts. I am one of many fans of Dorothy Franks Benton who celebrate the arrival of a new book by this author. And, Folly's Beach is a good reason to celebrate.

Within the first page of this book I was drawn into the plot and characters. I knew these people, cared about them and could hardly wait to know more. Folly's Beach is one of those rare books that hooked me immediately and, before I knew it, I had read and finished the book in two days. It is cleverly written moving between current time and a play narrated by a talented woman named Dorothy Heyward who lived 80 years ago. I was familiar with George Gershwin and DuBose, but I have to confess that I had to Google Heyward. What a remarkable woman.

Thanks to Franks for enlightening me. This book offers up family ties, forgiveness, love and more. It's the perfect summer read.
Susan R. (Julian, NC)

Folly Beach - Past and Present
I have read every book that Dorothea Benton Frank has written and this is absolutely the best one yet. She does a fantastic job of presenting a story inside the story. The modern story is about Cate Cooper and the changes in her life that cause her to move back to Folly Beach. The other story is about Dorothy and DeBose Heyward who lived on Folly Beach during the 20s. The author manages to keep both stories interesting and ties them together well. Absolutely a great beach read and one that I would highly recommend
Jeff M. (Morris Plains, NJ)

Folly Beach
Once again, Dorothea Benton Frank makes the Lowcountry come alive to her readers in her newest story, “Folly Beach”. She takes all the amenities of the South (pecan pie, sweetgrass baskets) and intersperses them with touches of the North in New Jersey, where part of the story takes place. Cate, as the main character, is someone the reader can relate to, her life filled with maternal and spousal issues, yet finding the inner strength to conquer adversity. I recommend this book to any previous Dot Frank readers and new readers will be embraced by her warmth and compassion, as they read through the story lines.
(Review was provided by my wife, who has read all of Dorothea Benton Frank's past novels).
Karen R. (Locust Grove, VA)

Home is the place that knows us best
That line sums up this wonderful novel. Dorothea Benton Frank's writing is filled with well developed and likeable characters, charm and humor. The chapters alternate between two periods of time, acts in a play that date back to the historic days of the Charleston Renaissance and to current life in Carolina Lowcountry. The coincidences in the past and present eventually come together and as a reader, I was fully satisfied with the result. I look forward to reading more of Ms. Frank's books.
Elisabeth, Durham, NC; Durham Library Foundation

Every Detail Wrapped Up With A Bow
I usually read literary fiction, but must say that I enjoyed Folly Beach. The dialogue between the sisters was wonderful with all their "completed for the other" sentences, shared references and verbal eye rolling. I found Frank's play within the book annoying but understood why she used this technique. My main criticism is the extravagant exaggeration of events in the beginning and the improbable convenience throughout, both of which take some serious willing suspension of disbelief. Frank leaves no loose ends dangling which many readers will find satisfying. Overall, a fun read!
Kimberli M. (Jessup, MD)

A Good Read
I enjoyed reading this book. It had a good storyline and well developed characters. It was a little slow at times, but I still enjoyed it. The author provided a story where the reader could really see the characters grow over time. The story is about new beginnings and discovering who you are and is something everyone can relate to.

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund