Read what people think about Gone by Mo Hayder, and write your own review.

Gone by Mo Hayder

• Published in USA  Feb 2011
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Gone

DSNYDER (10/10/11)

Gone by Mo Hayder
Horrible!! That describes the book. It was very bland. The plot was not exciting or captivating. I do not recommend this book.
CarolK (06/08/11)

First Rate Thriller
Yesterday, I was almost finished with Gone, you know at the point where everything is coming to a head and wrapping up. I was so bummed that I had to go to work. Now, I’m really a good employee, rarely sick and hardly ever take time off, but boy was I tempted to call in, stay home and finish this edge of your seat thriller. Reason won out and I convinced myself that when I got home at nine, I could finish Gone and that anticipation would just make it better. I suppose I could have brought it to work with me but for those of you who think working in a library is great, because all we do is read, I hate to burst your bubble, but I rarely get a chance to read at work. Yesterday would have been impossible.

I arrived home a bit after nine, quickly chatted with my husband; “no, nothing new, anything with you?, fine dear, talk later”. And then I hopped into my chair, put my feet up and raced to the finish.

If you’ve been bored with a certain thriller writer, not mentioning any names, then pick up Gone by Mo Hayder. This is the fifth to feature Detective Jack Caffrey. I don’t feel deprived that I haven’t read the first in the series. This was a very satisfying read on it’s own but I wouldn’t hesitate going back to read the rest. Hayder can join the men in her capacity for gritty storytelling. Where Hayder stands out is her descriptions of the psychology of evil and the writing of some great dialogue. But there’s a softer side too, a nice blend of punch you in the gut action and when you think you can’t take anymore, Hayder will give you a bit of a reprieve from harsh reality. All might not be as bad as it seems.

Gone is about a jacker, a despicable guy, a man who comes out of nowhere, knocks you to ground, calls you some awful names, jumps in your car and speeds off. You’d lick your wounds and all would be ok, only your child happens to be in the car. Imagine the terror? This is not a one-time incident and as no bodies have been found, no ransoms sought, it’s up to Caffrey and his team to figure out this guy’s motivation. Not a small order for a flawed group of police with hearts in the right place.

Suspenseful, fast paced, with graphic violence that’s not gratuitous; put this on your list. Be certain you don’t get caught having to go to work towards the end as I can’t be responsible for your actions.

• Book Jacket: The End of Eddy

by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T's A S B Every M