Read what people think about An Amish Christmas by Cynthia Keller, and write your own review.

by Cynthia Keller

An Amish Christmas by Cynthia Keller

• Published in USA  Oct 2010

There are currently 24 reader reviews for An Amish Christmas

Sharon S. (Stanley, N.C.) (09/16/10)

"An Amish Christmas" by Cynthia Keller
The Hobart family, an affluent southern family seem to have it all, or do they? Beautiful home, healthy children, husband, an attorney in a powerful law firm in Charlotte. Life as they have known it comes apart at the proverbial seams!

A freak car accident finds the Hobart family in a new unknown world. As this new puritan lifestyle opens up to them the Hobarts come to realize they are truly rich in what matters most, FAMILY.

Great quick read for the busy holidays. Will remind us all the true importance of life!
BookGirl (USA) (09/16/10)

A lovely book
I found this book to be an entirely charming and enjoyable read. Ms. Keller has delivered an even-handed portrayal of Amish life that is both interesting and informative. The religious emphasis is subtle; the theme of forgiveness is present, and the ending is, if predictable, not unrealistic. I would note that despite the title, I would not consider this a typical “Christmas book“ in that the story does not revolve around, nor really take place at Christmas, although the story does end on Christmas Day. Instead, it is more a cautionary tale of how easy it is in the modern world to lose one’s way spiritually, and an invitation to consider what is truly important in life. In that sense, I suppose the message of Christmas is there, without the commercial elements -- making it truly An Amish Christmas story.
Freya H. (Phoenix, AZ) (09/09/10)

An Amish Christmas
This was a lovely book and a very fast read. Growing up in Pennsylvania, we were very familiar with the Amish community, and it is portrayed well and accurately here. Young people who are city born and bred might enjoy, and benefit from, reading about a culture very different from their own. The day-to-day activities in the Lutz household were engaging and awe inspiring!
Caryl L. (Williamsburg, VA) (09/08/10)

An Amish Christmas
This was a charming book. A little corny in some places, but the message was there. This family, suddenly, finding themselves broke and stranded, ended up as guests of an Amish family. The message is while we all think we need the big house, the fancy fixings that go along with it, the crabby teenagers and,above all, keeping up with the Jonses, we find that the important things are the simple things.
Things like hard word, trust, honesty and ,above all, love that finally brings us together.It should be read by all the "nouveau riche", social climbing people who populate our country today. Don't worry, it's easy read.
Erica L. (Plaistow, New Hampshire) (09/07/10)

A typical Christmas short story
I enjoyed 'An Amish Christmas' by Cynthia Keller for what it was, a candy coated sugary Christmas story. A typical seasonal read this is a feel good story with little depth. A quick read with some interesting insights on the Amish it was entertaining. If you are looking for a light formula read without a lot of substance; this will fit the bill.
Kimberly A. (Hannibal, MO) (09/07/10)

Just Plain Good!
At first I thought this would be one of those "fluff" books: family in crisis, someone/something rescues them, and then a happy conclusion. All of those things happen, but the joy of reading this book comes from the author's craft and the "message."

Keller depicted her characters so expertly that I cared what happened to them. I especially enjoyed the determination of Meg and the charm of Sam. Although somewhat bland, the plot was believable and well-paced. The book is a quick and compelling read. Also, I am appreciative of the knowledge gained about Amish beliefs and practices.The only negative is the conclusion, which seemed a little contrived.

The book can simply be read, or it can be taken to heart. The "message" is one that warrants attention: "To be, rather than to seem." Simple words, but powerful meaning!

I would recommend this book to anyone. It's just plain good!
Betty S. (Jasper, GA) (09/05/10)

An Amish Christmas
In this novel, the Hobarts face a situation all too familiar in this time of economic slowdown. Lost job, no money, soon no home. The author does a good job of showing the feelings of each member of the family as they try to adjust to a complete change in life as they know it. It's a little repetitious in spots, but, on the whole, a good read.
Barbara C. (Lincolnshire, IL) (09/03/10)

An Amish Christmas
What a delightful and inspiring read! I could definitely identify with the Hobart family. Meg, the matriarch, is a woman committed to her husband and family yet when faced with adversity she quickly adapts and rises to the challenges ahead. She echoes so many women today and projected real feelings that many women share when their spouse deceives them and destroys the trust their marriage had been built upon. Her teenagers were ripe for a real world adjust as they enter the Amish world of the Lutz family. I really enjoyed how their detour in Life provided them with the experiences to face their new journey with hope, excitement and a mended family.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Castle of Water
    by Mark Kurlansky
  • Book Jacket: Temporary People
    Temporary People
    by Deepak Unnikrishnan
    In this powerful and innovative collection of 28 short stories, Deepak Unnikrishnan presents a ...

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

If We Were Villains
    by M. L. Rio

Manderley Forever
    by Tatiana de Rosnay

Bestselling author Tatiana de Rosnay pays homage to Daphne du Maurier.

It is a fact of life that any discourse...will always please if it is five minutes shorter than people expect

Y S M B, I'll S Y