Read what people think about Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin, and write your own review.

by Tom Franklin

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin X
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin

• Published in USA  Oct 2010

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

Lisa H. (Salisbury, MD)

Ssss....Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter Slithers Up On the Reader Like a Snake in the Grass
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter slithers up on the reader like a snake in the grass or in the deep, dark woods of Mississippi. The story uncoils itself in alternating turns from past to present through the voices and memories of former childhood friends, Silas and Larry. The setting and dialogue are deeply evocative of the rural south, and the racial relationships are finely drawn. There are some surprising twists and turns along the way, which will cause the reader to question what they think they know. Hmmm, who's the bad guy? Is it black on yellow, or yellow on black? An excellent mystery, but an even better character study!
Pamela B. (Monona, WI, WI)

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
Tom Franklin's book draws the reader in from the very first sentence. Is the monster real, or a manifestation of the evil within? The present and the past draw together to answer this question. An enjoyable read, filled with memorable characters, and real feel for small town life in rural Mississippi.
avid

not a murder mystery
This book was classified as a murder mystery by the bookstore in which I purchased it. While there is a murder (or possibly more), this book is about relationships, reflection, race relations, and Mississippi. Its characters make it worth reading; the "murder mystery" is almost a sideline.

The author put me in Mississippi, on a farm, in a nursing home, and in a squad car, all through the eyes of his well-developed and compassionate characters. I really enjoyed this book. If you like character-based novels, this is a great read.
Carm D. (Omaha, NE)

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
I really enjoyed this book. Great story, much suspense and edge of your seat situations.
I would recommend this to anyone who loves mystery or detective novels, you won't be disappointed. I'm looking forward to reading Mr. Franklin's other novels.
Patricia M. (San Jose, CA)

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
I requested this book based on my enjoyment of Franklin's previous book "Hell at the Breech". I was not in the least disappointed. This is a fine mystery with well developed characters, and a sense of time and place that is perfect. Set in the Mississippi of the 70's, 80's, and the present, the two main characters, one white and one black, deal with their families and their social standing in ways that touch the heart. Part mystery and part family drama, this is a page turner and is highly recommended.
Power Reviewer Carol T. (Ankeny, Iowa)

Exceedingly readable -- a page turner
Hard to put down, even on the weariest of evenings! I'll read this author's work again.
Juli S. (Portland, OR)

The kind of writing I'll reread
This is not a fast paced book that I wanted to read as quickly as possible to get to the resolution of the crime story. It's a book that I wanted to read slowly and savor the words and images that Franklin paints with them. It's a thoughtful, slowly building story that shifts back and forth between the present day and flashbacks to Larry and Silas as teenagers and how their friendship developed and then broke apart. While it is partly a crime story it’s even more the story of both Larry and Silas.

The descriptions and imagery are the kind of writing that makes me stop on a regular basis and reread a paragraph just for the words. It's heavy with atmosphere and the tension that gradually builds makes it a quiet thriller. While by the time the investigation is resolved it’s not any surprise the other parts of the story remain enough to keep the interest level high and the story moving along.

The writing had the same magic for me as Franklin's first novel "Hell at the Breech" without being quite as brutal.
Jill S. (Eagle, ID)

Crooked Letter, Crooked letter
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, and will be recommending it to my friends and bookclub. It captivated me immediately, and it is a page turner!
The characters are believable, and although it was predictable, I couldn't put it down. I have not read Franklin's earlier works, but will be doing so in the near future.

• Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund