Read what people think about The Doctor and the Diva by Adrienne McDonnell, and write your own review.

The Doctor and the Diva

by Adrienne McDonnell

The Doctor and the Diva by Adrienne McDonnell X
The Doctor and the Diva by Adrienne McDonnell

There are currently 20 reader reviews for The Doctor and the Diva

Power Reviewer Dorothy T. (Victorville, CA)

Brilliant!
There are many elements in this novel that ring of truth. The story is believable and well-paced, right down to a climax that led me to almost shout aloud, "No! It can't happen like this!" The descriptions of what it feels like to release the music inside—to sing well—are so true that the author has to have felt that herself, but how did she find the right words? The overriding truth of this novel, though, is that all of us make choices that, no matter what the motivation, force us to face consequences we may not have anticipated.

I think this novel would be a great book club selection and is for anyone who loves music and/or travel to a tropical paradise or Italy at the turn of the 20th century.
Jill S. (Eagle, ID)

The Docotr and the Diva
This book captivated me from the start. It is an easy and engaging read. The issues tackled in the book--fertility, career and love are timeless. Although some of the transitions are choppy, the characters are believable and well developed. This book would be great for any bookclub discussion.
Power Reviewer Cam G. (Murrells Inlet, SC)

THE DOCTOR AND THE DIVA
The Doctor and the Diva, Adrienne McDonnell's first novel, is a wonderful read from start to finish. It is inspired by the life of the author's son's paternal great great grandmother who deserted her husband and son to further her career as an operatic singer. This book is about obsessions:her unfailing attempt to bear a child, to fulfill her dream to to go to Italy and become a singer, and the love she had for a man, a well-known fertility doctor who is in charge of her care. We learn about the early beginnings of fertility treatment, we discover the beauty of the places she traveled by McDonnell's beautiful descriptions...all this in a book that will undoubtedly draw you in until the final page.
Virginia B. (Forest Park, IL)

Wonderful book!
An excellent read! The author described locations so beautifully I felt as if I was in Trinidad and Italy. It was interesting to read about the early treatment of infertility. I felt Erika's pain about not having a baby and but wanting a baby so bad she put her own passion of singing on hold. Erika's and Ravell's love story was so tender you want them to be together.

The book was an easy read and I loved every page.
Mary J. (Scottsdale, AZ)

A Rich and Full Story
The Doctor and The Diva is a well written and fully developed story with great details. It is a book that once you start reading it, you can't put it down. It is full of twists and turns and had me from the first page. It is a must read. You will fall in love with the characters and will be sad to finish the story.
Power Reviewer Mary O. (Boston, MA)

a perfect diva
The Doctor and the Diva captured my interest from the start. It is a book that is hard to put down and a perfect page turning "summer beach read". The twists and turns all point to how passion drives the soul. You feel like you are a world traveler embracing each character's life and journey. A great read!
Kathy S. (DeForest, WI)

A Love Story of a Family
This book is not only a beautiful love story, but a good book to learn about early obstetric practices, Trinidad and Italian opera.
Jinny K. (Fremont, CA)

Charming Story
What an enjoyable first novel. The author tells a good tale with authentic and likable characters. The themes of love and longing are depicted realistically, and the locations are vividly portrayed. The infertility theme was engaging, and especially intriguing given the time frame of the book - who knew there was so much going on in this specialty so long ago?

• Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund