Read what people think about The Journal Keeper by Phyllis Theroux, and write your own review.

A Memoir

by Phyllis Theroux

• Published in USA  Mar 2010
    Genre: Biographies & Memoirs

There are currently 15 reader reviews for The Journal Keeper

Nancy E. (Whitehouse Station, NJ) (02/02/10)

The Journal Keeper
This book should inspire many readers to keep a journal. At first the book is difficult to get into but as you begin to "know" the author it is difficult to put down. I read it in two evenings and found it very enjoyable. Ms. Theroux is revealing about her life, her relationships and her view of the world. This is a book that many women - especially at midlife - will understand and empathize with the author.
Nancy C. (Overland Park, (01/28/10)

The Journal Keeper by Phyllis Theroux
This is a book with a definite appeal, especially for someone close to Ms. Theroux’s age. However, it will be of interest to anyone who keeps a journal, would like to keep a journal, or is just interested in the musings of another person. My only quarrel with this book is that it may be a little too long. By the end it was beginning to be irritating; there was too much carping about the details of her relationship with Ragan. Perhaps, everyone begins to carp at that age. The writing was excellent and it was interesting to learn about Ms Theroux’s relationship with her mother. This was an exceptionally close relationship and was really heartwarming.
Dotty G. (Roswell, GA) (01/26/10)

a keeper...
My shelves are overflowing with books, so much so that I can't keep them all; however, I will keep and treasure this book. The Journal Keeper is a thought provoking, sometimes depressing, sometimes uplifting read. I have highlighted many passages, and each time I pick it up, I find more to highlight. The everyday events of the author's life are intertwined with her writing life. Her themes are universal and honest. I learned from and often identified with this extraordinary memoir.
Sue Ellen Savereide (Cedar Falls, IA) (01/25/10)

Did Not Disappoint
As a "sixty-something" who often finds herself reading memoir (May Sarton, Anne Morrow Lindbergh) I had rather high expectations for this book. I was not disappointed. The book in fact inspired and nudged me to once again take up the practice of journaling. The book begins as the author is in her sixty-first year. At this stage of her life, she yearns to "prune my life so that the strength flows into fewer branches." She honestly chronicles challenges—emotional, financial, physical, mental—and coping mechanisms. Certainly writing—i.e., journal keeping—is one of those mechanisms. In the section " If You Want to Keep a Journal," she advises that a journal "should be a wise friend who helps you create your own enlightenment." Let the writing and the pruning begin!
Deborah P. (Dunnellon, FL) (01/20/10)

The Journal Keeper
Theroux shares a brief insight into her life as a writer in the first ten pages. She then graciously allows the reader to enter her interior thoughts, questions and experiences in the form of short journal entries from 2000 to 2005. Although the book has no identifiable plot it reads like a well written novel. The author's use of metaphors and analogies made this reader want to stop and reflect on her questions, insights and wisdom. So happy to be a member of BookBrowse because I might have missed one of the best books of 2010.
Karen J. (Bremerton, WA) (01/20/10)

Captures six years of the author's life. A sketchbook of events, impressions, favorite quotes, observations…. I found my attention wandering in parts but deeply engaged in others. It was a bit uneven for me. Interesting, thought provoking at times, but not as good as some other memoirs I've read.
Julie M. (Bloomington, MN) (01/16/10)

Extraordinary in the Ordinary
This book is like a collection of mini essays about everyday life of a women and Theroux gives new meaning to ordinary daily events in her life and ours. Perfect to read in short spurts because each section will make you want to pause and ponder. Very Good.
Carolyn F. (San Carlos, CA) (01/14/10)

The Journal Keeper
A beautifully written book, this book makes me think every time I pick it up. I read memoirs hoping to learn something about how to deal with the curve balls life throws at me, and this book helped me springboard from her journal entries to situations in my own life. Theroux has also written some lovely essays which I have read.

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    by Brit Bennett
    by Tom Jackson

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.