Read what people think about Gourmet Rhapsody by Muriel Barbery, and write your own review.

Gourmet Rhapsody

by Muriel Barbery

Gourmet Rhapsody by Muriel Barbery

• Published in USA  Aug 2009

There is 1 reader review for Gourmet Rhapsody

Power Reviewer Cloggie Downunder (11/13/11)

a treat
The Gourmet is the first novel by Muriel Barbery. Pierre Arthens, France’s greatest food critic, is dying. As he lies on his deathbed in his Rue de Grenelle apartment, he is tormented by his inability to recall the most delicious food to pass his lips, long before he became a critic. The story is narrated by Arthens himself, as he recalls meals and times in his life in an effort to identify the elusive dish; the people and things in his life also recount their experiences and opinions of him. Barbery’s own childhood in Morocco is in evidence, and the apartment building and the concierge make a further appearance in Barbery’s next and very popular novel, “The Elegance of the Hedghog”. I wondered how the musings of a dying man could make much of a novel, but this is a feast of words, a banquet of mouth-watering and evocative descriptions. Alison Anderson has done a first class job of translation. This is truly a treat to relish.

The Summer Before the War

A Piece of the World
    by Christina Baker Kline

I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh

Our wisdom comes from our experience, and our experience comes from our foolishness

K Your F C