Read what people think about The Secret Keeper by Paul Harris, and write your own review.

The Secret Keeper

by Paul Harris

The Secret Keeper by Paul Harris X

• Published in USA  Apr 2009
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 35 reader reviews for The Secret Keeper

Mary D. (Claremont, CA)

The Secret Keeper by Paul Harris
The Secret Keeper was written by Paul Harris, who was, in fact, a correspondent in Africa for four years, and knows his subject well. While it contains many of the essentials necessary to a good spy/espionage genre, there is also a lot of factual background information. Since the political crisis in Sierra Leone is a subject virtually unknown to me, this information was pertinent to understanding the characters and events that took place.

Needless to say, there are many twists and turns, good guys turn out to be not so good, bad guys are sometimes bad by necessity, but the horrible truths behind what has happened in that area are hard to disguise.

It was an exciting, captivating read with strong characters that I found difficult to put down. I highly recommend this book.

A hit! Be ready to read late into the night...
In his first novel, Paul Harris has done the near impossible: combining a tightly designed mystery; love story and self discovery journey into a compelling and exciting read.

When British journalist Danny Kellerman is unexpectedly summoned to Sierra Leone - the place where he made his best and worst decisions in life and journalism - by his former love, he begins a journey that will have him questioning what is and isn’t real, relevant or true.

A great book for a club read, Kellerman’s journey is filled with physical danger, unexpected emotion and the ultimate journalistic conflict between truth and consequence.

A twisty and unexpected plot keeps you reading far past the time you’ve allotted—expect to be drawn into The Secret Keeper late into the night—and expect to see Harris again; hopefully this is the first of a long list of bestselling novels from a talented writer. I hope he’s already working on the next.
Wisteria Leigh, New Milford, CT

The Secret Keeper by Paul Harris
Harris doesn’t waste any time shocking you into a compelling need to continue as the opening chapter captivates your attention to read on. The Secret Keeper is a transcontinental consummate adventure thriller traversing between London and Sierra Leone. In London, Danny Kellerman receives a cryptic letter of desperation from his ex-lover Maria. He is a journalist who four years earlier reported on the political upheaval in Sierra Leone where he met Maria. The postmark is three weeks earlier and all sense of reality disappears when he discovers that he is too late and Maria is dead, a victim of a robbery and murder while driving in the country.

Harris’s poetic prose style lends itself to a one-night read. You will see, as I did, that putting this book down for even a moment is quite difficult. His prolific use of carefully placed similes, paints a vibrant palette of imagery bringing the reader into the story.

A debut novel, will cause a few white knuckle moments, you won’t want to miss it. Paul Harris is a novelist to watch and anxiously await his next book.

Sometimes escaping from your zone can be rewarding
I, like many of the other reviewers, was unsure about this novel. I read to forget and achieve a sense of calm... and this book did not do that for me. It was fast-paced and the language kept me intrigued. I was horrified by the slums and constant warfare, but also felt it was described to help the story not bring shame to a country. I enjoyed this author and the many twists and turns his story afforded. I would highly recommend it to even the non-adventure espionage reader... sometimes escaping from your comfort zone can be rewarding! And this is a perfect example...try to read the first chapter and walk away!

The Secret Keeper
Mr.Harris kept me riveted from start to finish. I learned a lot about that war in Sierra Leone.

Many Secrets to keep
This book captured my attention immediately. I've read books taking place in other African countries but not Sierra Leone - the author has done an excellent job of making you feel as if you are there - the heat, destructive forces of many types, the people - both powerful and powerless, the stress of wartime and the awful use of children in war, but also romance and friendship. The book is exciting and terrifying at the same time. I will look forward to other books by Paul Harris.

An African Love Story
I enjoyed this book immensely. It is a love story within a land torn by war and unspeakable cruelty. I was very impressed with the way Mr. Harris drew his characters and how much more I learned about Sierra Leone in reading it. I would certainly recommend this book to young people who need to learn about this world. This is a fictional story but Sierra Leone is real and it is that reality that will stay with you when you turn the last page.

Kudos for this first novel by Paul Harris! From the first page I was drawn into Danny's world and its secrets. I never saw the conclusion coming (a novelty for me). Danny is a British reporter who travels to Sierra Leone to cover the revolutionary war there and falls in love with an aid worker at a children's facility. It's a love story, a mystery, a thriller, and a powerful commentary on our turbulent times and the people who survive those times. It is a good read...a VERY good read and I would recommend it highly to all. I will await the next book by Mr. Harris anxiously and hope that the arrival will be soon.

• Book Jacket: Winter