Read what people think about Eve by Elissa Elliott, and write your own review.

Eve

A Novel of the First Woman

by Elissa Elliott

Eve by Elissa Elliott X
Eve by Elissa Elliott

There are currently 15 reader reviews for Eve

Nancy C. Cullinan

Book groups will love it
Eve is a wonderful and lovely story. Elissa Elliott has written about Eve in a way never imagined before.

Eve and her life burst from the pages, and I was "hooked" immediately. I flew through the pages, and the story ended much too soon. Now I'm beginning a second read -- this time much more slowly as I savor Elissa Elliott's beautiful language and storytelling.

I'm sure Book Groups will love this book. There is much to discuss, debate and imagine!
Tricia

Spellbinding and full of emotion.
I've longed to know more about Eden myself. What was it like to be cast out? What was the garden? How did they survive afterward? Elissa Elliott's book tells you what might have been. I found it mesmerizing and once I picked it up, could not put it down. Each character was finely drawn and the plot, that of a early family surviving on their own and then thrown into a world of strange and exotic practices, practically leaped off the page.

Highly recommend. You won't walk away the same.
Patricia

What a woman!
From the first paragraph of the prologue, Elissa Elliott’s novel Eve grabbed me and did not let me go until the end. Even then the story and the world of Eve, Adam, Cain, Abel, Naava, Aya, Dara, and Jarden haunted me for days to come. This is a beautiful and powerful first novel. Elliott’s choice of words and language are unique and gripping. This is the story we have always wondered about, and Elissa Elliott’s imagination has filled in the blanks and created an Eve who is a many sided woman, often loving and generous and often whiny and full of blame for others. It is Aya, the second daughter, who, because of her position in the family, is able to show us all of the other characters clearly.

I was reminded of The Poisonwood Bible with the multiple women’s viewpoint while reading this story. Elliott is a talented new novelist and I will watch for other novels from her in the future. In the meantime I will hold on to this novel to reread at my leisure.
Gail

Ancient Tale Comes to Life
After Eden -- what? Congratulations to Elissa Elliott for her imaginative fleshing out of the Expulsion story. My book club would relish the characters of Eve and her daughters -- each speaking from her own unique perspective, age and ability.
Elly

Captivating!
This tale of Adam, Eve and their family drew me in immediately, perhaps because it tells the "rest of the story" - that which does not appear in Genesis. And, because it is related with such conviction, I found it necessary to stop on occasion, reminding myself that this is a work of fiction - very convincing, well-written historical fiction.

"Eve" gives birth to much thought and many questions. I enjoyed it immensely; it has inspired a research bug in me and I feel that the author's afterword is a sound jumping off place.

I would heartily recommend "Eve" as an excellent book club choice, for it certainly has the capability of stimulating a wealth of discussion.
Barbara

Eve Made Human
Like most people who were brought up Christian, I know the story of Adam and Eve, of Cain and Abel. The Bible itself is sketchy on the details so I often wondered what led Cain to kill Abel? Surely not simply the offering? There had to be something that led up to such hatred? What could it have been? What was life like for Adam and Eve, then anyway?

"Eve" answers that question based on meticulous research of life in Mesopotamia. Of course, it's fiction, so the author takes quite a bit of creative license. The story is told in 4 perspectives, that of Eve and her daughters: Naava, Aya and Dara. The story begins at the end and weaves back and forth in time.

What that leaves us with is a story that makes Eve come alive. All the characters are shown fully with sympathetic and non-sympathetic characteristics. They, too, wonder where all these other people came from if Adam and Eve were the first two people on earth.

Elliott's writing is beautifully descriptive. The story captured my attention early and I couldn't wait to finish yet I made myself read slowly to savor every bit and to not miss anything.

If you're a fan of The Red Tent, you'll love this story. If you've ever wondered about who Eve really was, you'll like this story. If you're interested in people who question their faith, you'll enjoy this story. Aya is very New Thought in her approach to spirituality.

I was sorry to see the book end and I was left wanting to know more about what happened to Cain, Naava, to Dara and Aya. Maybe Elliott will write another book!
Linda

Eve
I was quite intrigued by the premise of this book and was not disappointed. It’s a beautifully written story from the perspective of the women in Adam and Eve’s family. Even though you know the outcome of what happened to them and their male children, it was still a fascinating journey to get to the end. Ms. Elliott certainly did provide some good food for thought if nothing else.
Diane

Eve- A Novel of the First Woman
Author Elissa Elliott successfully combines the Biblical stories of Adam and Eve, and their sons Cain and Abel, with life in historical Mesopotamia in her novel, "Eve - A Novel of the First Woman".

Fans of Anita Diamant's "Red Tent" will enjoy this book, which drew me further into their fascinating ancient world with each turn of the page. Narration in alternating chapters by Eve and her daughters Naava, Aya and Dara gives the reader an overall snapshot of life for females at this time in history.

Elliott's reimagining of life in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve's fall from grace, and Cain's killing of his brother Abel add a new dimension to the familiar stories.

Even the afterword to this wonderful novel is interesting, with the author sharing her intensive search for historical accuracy.

The heart of the novel, however, is the undying love that Adam and Eve have for each other. It is inspiring.

• Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund