Read what people think about The Fisher Boy by Stephen H. Anable, and write your own review.

by Stephen H. Anable

The Fisher Boy by Stephen H. Anable

• Published in USA  May 2008
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 16 reader reviews for The Fisher Boy

Sue

Good debut!
For some reason, when I read the synopsis, I envisioned sort of a "cozy" mystery. It was definitely not that. The book is populated with many intriguing characters, but the town itself is one of the main players. It was a bit draggy at first - like floating lazily downstream in a slow-moving river, then suddenly, the current picks up, and you are swept along with it. This was an interesting read and turned into a very good mystery.
Marta

Pleasant Read
The book was a pleasure to read. The transition from chapter to chapter flowed smoothly due to the interest level. The plot was wrapped up nicely at the end.
Wendy

The Fisher Boy
Author Stephen Anable has crafted a unique and intriguing mystery with a myriad of characters, each with their own foibles and quirks. The novel takes awhile to get off the ground as the author sets the stage for the events to come. Mark Winslow is the naïve and curious protagonist, who at times I found a little exasperating but still likable. Anable packs quite a few different plot threads throughout the novel that will keep the reader guessing right up until all is revealed at the end. Suspenseful with a teaspoon of romance, The Fisher Boy is an entertaining novel.
Susan

Engaging, but not for every book group
I liked the book and thought it was well-written, especially the descriptions of the characters and the setting. The plot was full of twists and kept me engaged right to the end. Because the setting and much of the plot concern the predominantly gay community of Provincetown, this isn't the right choice for all book groups. That aside, this book could lead to good discussions about cults and other groups.
Vicky

An exploding second half...
While I wasn't bored, I felt somewhat "ho-hum" and I was into half of this book and I still could not figure out where it was going...then, boom! Suddenly, there were new characters, new twists, a new focus. The plot flew into directions that I had no hint of in the earlier part of the story. Strange, interesting characters appeared and then I couldn't stop reading...I had to see where this story was leading. I will admit, for someone who reads 3 or 4 books a week, this mystery had me puzzled until the last few pages. This book is different but well worth the reader's time and my hat's off to any author who can keep me guessing until the end.
Mary Ellen

Provincetown Sets the Stage
The Fisher Boy is a colorful book bringing together cultural clashes, mayhem, and a murder. The main character, Mark, is trying to launch a club act with a group of friends. The book gives a real feel for the summer community in Provincetown, and the push and pull of gay visitors, the resident community, the wealthy and their groupies. The murder focuses the story and sends Mark, who becomes the suspect, on a quest to deal with the dark forces in his life and a mystery from the past. Edgy and unsettling.
Barbara

If you liked
I was glad to find the author did not fall in to the traps of stereotype that were so evident in the first half of the book. No one group of people was made out to be purely evil or righteous. I did find it interesting that the main character was self-reflective in reviewing his own attitudes and motives. The gay theme may scare some readers off, and if you hated "Running with Scissors, " be assured that this is not that. I found some of the characters a little over the top, but for the most parts they were well developed, sincere and consistent. I don't know that I would recommend the book to my Book Club, unless it is for that summer slot of July and August, when everyone just wants a "beach read," but it should make a decent Lifetime movie.
John

The Fisher Boy
Interesting story although a bit far-fetched. Well written, it did retain my interest. The main characters in the book are gay although there are no graphic scenes. Interesting descriptions of the Cape Cod area.

• Book Jacket: Before We Sleep
    by Kate Moore

Win News of the World

The Gypsy Moth Summer
    by Julia Fierro

One of the most anticipated books of 2017.

T's S I Numbers