Read what people think about Killer Heat by Linda Fairstein, and write your own review.

Killer Heat

by Linda Fairstein

Killer Heat by Linda Fairstein

• Published in USA  Mar 2008
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 31 reader reviews for Killer Heat

Mary

Kept me completely immersed
Once again, Linda Fairstein has kept me completely immersed in her newest book, Killer Heat, featuring Alex Cooper and her “partners” Mike and Mercer. This time they are on the trail of a sadistic rapist/torturer/murderer who uses the islands of New York as his dumping ground.

For me, a “good” book has to be engaging, has to make me think, and will teach me something. This book is no exception. In addition to the wonderful ensemble cast, this book gives a history of the islands of New York: Bannerman Island with its Scottish-style castle and Bannerman’s catalogue of military equipment and supplies, Ruffle Bar Island which was once a resort with fifty homes and a luxury hotel, and Governor’s Island with its rich history of being used as a military port from the Revolutionary War, complete with homes, a church and a hospital built for the officers and their families, to its final use as a military induction center in World War II.

There is also a good deal of psychiatry/psychology involved in determining who the “bad guy” is and why he does what he does. There are some very tense moments when Alex confronts Troy and the hurricane-force winds are whipping about. This book is a great read, moving very quickly and very hard to put down. I highly recommend it!
Lynn

Another Kill!
Fairstein's sophisticated writing and plot line land this one in the super good category. She is not only tremendously knowledgeable about trials and DA stuff, but in this book brings in some fascinating history (mid-1800's) and geography on Rosevelt and other islands around NYC. If you have read her other books, this is a must, as Alex plays her role out in the streets. If you have not read Fairstein, this would be a good start.
Robin

Manhattan Murder Mystery
This harrowing story of a serial rapist/murderer on the loose definitely succeeded in capturing my attention. Not normally a mystery reader, this book was multi-layered and interposed so many different themes (such as some history of the Manhattan islands, the legal side of an ongoing investigation, and police procedure) that it instantly bewitched me. It was a very quick read, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone in the mood for an all-consuming, think-about-nothing-else afternoon!
Selene

Who Loves a Mystery?
I do - And you will too. Although I am an avid reader of the mystery genre, this was my first Alex Cooper novel. This was a fast-paced thriller and the ending is great. If you are looking for a new series to read, this is it.
Shirley

Killer Heat by Linda Fairstein
Although Linda Fairstein has written a whole series about the New York District Attorney, Alexandra Cooper, this is the first one I have read. Ms Fairstein uses the experiences she had for more than 20 years in the Sex Crimes Unit of the District Attorney’s office in Manhattan. This novel is a page turner as Ms. Cooper goes about solving the brutal murders that appear to point to a deliberate method used for all three victims. It is a fast-paced and exciting read. I will definitely read her previous books featuring Alexandra Cooper.
Barbara L.

A FRESH Lady Review
This is the first book I have read by Linda Fairstein, but I will be looking for more. Killer Heat was a real page turner. The plots of the first two murders were interwoven from the start. The reader was given just enough clues to think they had the solution only to find the contradictions along the way. As a murder mystery it was first rate.

That was what kept the pages turning, but there was far more to enjoy about this novel. Fairstein exhibited great sympathy for the victims and gave important lessons to all women as the lawyer, Alexandra Cooper, faced the prospect of torture herself. Given Fairstein's professional background, you were assured that she knew the scenarios that she was portraying. An added extra were all the history lessons given out along the way. I am now anxious to see Governor's Island and the other islands visited in the investigation.
Phyllis

Killer Heat
In her 10th legal thriller, Linda Fairstein relies on New York City history, legal issues, and forensic details to hold the reader's interest. Alex Cooper is winding up an old rape case solved by DNA evidence when she learns of a body in an abandoned building. Investigating with sidekicks Mike and Mercer, she soon learns of a second body and begins to develop a profile of the killer. While exploring possible motives they also explore several islands in the harbor, and the reader learns of their history. New information leads to a third body and a race against time to prevent a fourth.

Readers who have read earlier books in the series will enjoy the familiar characters, and the development or a possible romance for Alex. We learn more about the legal system and the location. All of these combine to be a most rewarding read.
Velma

A Winner
Congratulations to Linda Fairstein for a wonderful book. An excellent mystery mixed with more information on New York, American history, sexual predators, and investigational procedure than you may ever want to know. There is even a little romance thrown in. It sounds like a hodge podge, but Fairstein's writing style makes it a real page turner. This would be a great choice for a long, cold weekend as long as you keep your doors locked.

• Book Jacket: Midwinter Break

Love and Other Consolation Prizes
    by Jamie Ford

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E