Read what people think about The Marriage of True Minds by Stephen Evans, and write your own review.

The Marriage of True Minds

by Stephen Evans

The Marriage of True Minds by Stephen Evans X
The Marriage of True Minds by Stephen Evans

• Published in USA  May 2008

There are currently 16 reader reviews for The Marriage of True Minds

Donna

I laughed. I cried. I'll read it again.
Evans has created a perfectly limned representation of a flailing two-headed, multi-armed creature struggling to reign in the mercurial insanity of Nick Ward and Lena Grant’s relationship. They’re divorced, they’re ex-law partners, they’re still in love and their love has made them both more than a little crazy. None of that takes anything away from this witty, clever and charming little story. Indeed, it’s all the better because of the insanity.
Rachelle

Charming read
The Marriage of True Minds was a fantastic treat - filled with humor, quick-wit, and a hand puppet named Sancho there was plenty in this book to love. At just under 200 pages it was a quick read that showed that sometimes the definition of insanity is love.
Arden

Repartee at its finest
Stephen Evans is, among other things, a playwright, and that talent is evident here. Reading this book brings to mind, at least to someone of my generation, Nick and Nora Charles engaged in witty exchanges, and their ever-present schnauser, Asta (The Thin Man). In this tale, though, Nick and Nora become Nick and Lena, both attorneys, (one sane, the other's sanity is for the reader to decide), and Asta becomes a puppet named Sancho. Other real animals play an important role in the story, particularly a large dog named Wolfram. The fairly short book (180 pages) is an engaging, entertaining read and would make a great Disney movie, though the too sophisticated dialog may need to be downplayed a tad for that audience. For this audience, though, the dialog makes the read.
Julie

A Quick Read, Quirky & Heartwarming
This was a book unlike any I've ever read before. I was hooked within the first two pages. Less than two hundred pages all total, it's a short book but packed full of quirky humor that had me laughing out loud.

Centered around a divorced pair of attorneys, Lena is slightly neurotic and Nick is more than a little psychotic, but they have a connection that cannot be broken, despite their mutual "annoyance" of each other.

Another main character in the book is Sancho, a well-loved puppet (yes, a puppet) that Nick is so attached to, it's as if Sancho is a human, whom Nick calls an "unreal American". Sancho goes everywhere with Nick and seems to be an extension of Nick's psyche.

The story reads very fast with a lot of dialogue. There are parts that are hilarious and parts that are heartbreaking....but overall this book is an absolute winner. I love the author's offbeat wit and look forward to more in the future!
Ann

Is Nick Really Crazy?
This funny and touching novel will have you laughing one minute and questioning your definition of "crazy" the next. With witty dialogue and unforgettable characters including a puppet and a soon-to-be-euthanized wolfhound, Evans has crafted a book about a partnership that survives in spite of all odds. Animal lovers will especially be charmed by Nick's strategy in saving the animals in the shelter.
Angelina

True Minds?
Parts of this book were absolutely sweet and a few of the characters were incredibly lovable. One of the main characters didn't resonate so much for me but it didn't detract from my appreciation of the novel. I recommend it if you like to see different ideas of love and relationships.
Sandy

The Marriage of True Minds
Laugh out loud funny. It is a beach read and if you live in the snow belt a great snow day read. It is a little off the wall but very enjoyable. I have never read a book with a story line quite like this
Teresa

A Wild Ride
The Marriage of True Minds has it all: eccentricity, madness, compelling characters, and a hand puppet named Sancho. This is a truly wonderful read! I laughed, I cried, and I laughed again. The characters in this book are incredibly fun and I would like to learn more about them. Hopefully, Stephen Evans will include them in his next book- which I hope will be coming soon!! Write faster, Mr. Evans! A great story about modern love and the daily pressures that keep us sane- or insane!!

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers