Read what people think about Mozart's Sister by Rita Charbonnier, and write your own review.

by Rita Charbonnier

• Published in USA  Oct 2007
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 31 reader reviews for Mozart's Sister

Power Reviewer Wendy

The Forgtten Sister
The story of Mozart's Sister is definitely the tale of the forgotten one. Rita Charbonnier's rich language brings this story to life and makes the reader experience Nannerl's pain. Being a male, her brother's success far overshadows Nannerl's equally impressive abilities. The account of how she handles this situation is an enjoyable one.
Erica

Mozart's Sister by Rita Charbonnier
Mozart's Sister is an excellent portrayal of the frustrations of an extremely talented, artistic and intelligent woman, living at a time when women's contributions were ignored and only men's gifts were touted. As the sister of the prodigy, Wolfgang Mozart, Nannerl was cast in the shadows and allowed little other than a supporting role. Charbonnier has brought a character, given a minor role in history, to life. She shows the dysfunctional Mozart family in a manner different from other authors, who put Wolfgang in the limelight and mention Nannerl only in passing, and shows the true villainy of Leopold.
Shirley

Mozart's Sister Comes Alive
What an engaging story of familiar characters. We get an insiders' view of the dysfunctional dynamics of the Mozart Family. It certainly wasn't advantageous to be born female, although ultimately poor Wolfgang doesn't benefit emotionally from his father's indulgence. At its core, this is a story of how the unconditional love of others can lead a character to bloom. The character development is well done. The main chacter becomes alive and the reader is drawn into her tale.
Christine

Mozart's Sister
Despite the lapse of centuries, a woman's struggle to stay true to her own sacred nature is timeless. Rita Charbonnier's Mozart's Sister is a love story: with music, with family, with the search for one's beloved, and, ultimately, with one's self.

I found the story very modern, current and satisfying. Book clubs, and readers of varying ages should find this book appealing, depending on their various stages of the same journey. The whipped cream AND the cherry is that the basic facts in this story are true and there very well must have been the knotty issues embraced in this lovely read.
Good historical fiction in my book. (Now I want to dig out what more is written about this woman.)
Beth

Discovering the Unfamiliar Mozart
Rita Charbonnier has created a wonderful novel depicting the life of Wolfgang Mozart's older sister, known to family and friends as Nannerl. As a child, she too was a prodigy, performing with her brother, but their father's sexist attitudes sent her down another path. This book takes us along with her - to find her place in the world and in music.
Jeanne

Mozart's Sister by Rita Charbonnier
Maria Anna Mozart whose family pet name was Nannerl was the older sister of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Her narrative has rich historical and metaphorical detail. I was charmed throughout ,but one passage which describes the children's musical notes was especially wonderful: "Their notes ran, improvised and anarchic, wild and noisy, from one door to another; they pursued, caught up, became entangled and let go; they flew out the window...." While this is Nannerl's story, her brother impacts her life, and how Nannerl comes to terms with her life and her music will satisfy the reader.
I loved the book for all the reasons mentioned and would recommend to those fascinated with historical fiction or biography.
Trish

Mozart's Sister
The sacrifices Nanearl makes to insure Mozart's career were devastating, but seeing Nanearl rise above and be happy was satisfying.
Barbara

Mozart's Sister
Once I got past being annoyed that Nannerl's talent was stifled so that she could support her brother, I enjoyed this book. The writing is engaging and this was an "easy" read in that the reader really wanted to continue! I love historical fiction and getting a different perspective on historical figures is fun.

My Name Is Leon