We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What do readers think of The Lost Bookshop by Evie Woods? Write your own review.

Summary | Discuss | Reviews | More Information | More Books

The Lost Bookshop

by Evie Woods

The Lost Bookshop by Evie Woods X
The Lost Bookshop by Evie Woods

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Lost Bookshop

Nanette S.

The Lost Bookshop
I believe that books and stories, once read, will somehow leave a piece of them inside you. This one surely did, and will stay with me awhile. If one enjoys magical realism, this one is for you. For me, this began in slow motion and finally picked up speed midway through the book. That is when the 3 main characters, Opaline, Martha, and Henry really came to life along with the tale of the bookshop and its existence. I especially enjoyed the very last sentence! Don't read that sentence until you actually get there, part of the entire book could be a spoiler.
I enjoyed it and will read more by Evie Woods.
Sally

Awesome Read
I really enjoyed the story line and characters. I couldn’t put it down. I would highly recommend this book for your reading pleasure. Need a book 2 all about the Lost Bookshop.
Jamal

About The Lost Bookshop.
The Lost Bookshop by Evie Woods published with One More Chapter (Harper Collins) on June 22nd and is described as The Keeper of Stories meets The Lost Apothecary…evocative and charming novel full of mystery and secrets.’

I have read the charming work of Evie Woods, as Evie Gaughan, and have been totally captivated by the magic and warmth that emanates from her stories. Both The Mysterious Bakery on Rue de Paris, set in France, and The Story Collector, set in Ireland, swept me up in their mysticism and escapism, taking me on wonderful adventures. When Evie writes about France, her storytelling is reminiscent of Joanne Harris’ Vianne Rocher novels ( Chocolat, The Lollipop Shoes, Peaches for Monsieur le Cure & The Strawberry Thief) with sweeping imagery imbued with magical realism.

Evie combines France and her Irish roots into a beautifully woven tale that had me listening to Sidney Bechet and reminding me why I love his music and the gorgeous movie that is Midnight in Paris is a must for anyone who, like me, loves mention of the Lost Generation, Sylvia Beach and of an era when society and the arts carry a special kind of wonder and enchantment.

Martha arrives in Dublin looking for shelter, looking to escape the life she has been living. She finds work as a housekeeper for an elderly lady, with sleeping arrangements included. The anonymity of the situation suits Martha.

Henry arrives in Dublin from the UK in search of something. On the threshold of a big decision in his personal life, he needs this escape to Dublin to follow a thread, to uncover a piece of the past that he is finding challenging to get a solid hold of.

This book has my heart and soul.

Read-Alikes

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    by Derek B. Miller
    Derek B. Miller's sixth novel, The Curse of Pietro Houdini, opens in the town of Cassino, Italy, in ...
  • Book Jacket: Our Moon
    Our Moon
    by Rebecca Boyle
    In Our Moon: How Earth's Celestial Companion Transformed the Planet, Guided Evolution, and Made Us ...
  • Book Jacket: Neighbors and Other Stories
    Neighbors and Other Stories
    by Diane Oliver
    The history of American segregation, along with changes to it in the 1960s, is sometimes taught and ...
  • Book Jacket: Wild and Distant Seas
    Wild and Distant Seas
    by Tara Karr Roberts
    Tara Karr Roberts is a newspaper columnist who also teaches English and journalism. Wild and Distant...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)