What do readers think of Her Hidden Genius by Marie Benedict? Write your own review.

Summary | Discuss | Reviews | More Information | More Books

Her Hidden Genius

by Marie Benedict

Her Hidden Genius by Marie Benedict X
Her Hidden Genius by Marie Benedict

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Her Hidden Genius

Phyllis

Outstanding
I had long been aware of Rosalind Franklin and her contribution to the 'discovery' of DNA, but this book clarified her pivotal role as well as providing an understanding of the woman herself. Benedict made the complex science of x-ray crystallography understandable for even a non-scientist. I have recommended it to all my friends, particularly those interested in the often-neglected area of women in science.
Charlene McSweeny

Her Hidden Genius
Marie Benedict has written another book about outstanding women who have been overlooked by our male dominated history.
Dr. Rosalind Franklin has discovered, through hours of tireless research, the double helix structure of DNA.
"Her Hidden Genius" relates how a brilliant woman scientist struggles to have her work recognized by her male colleagues and the scientific community.
FrancesN

Rosalind Franklin
I first became aware of Rosalind Franklin, during college studying for a degree in Biology, with a special interest in genetics. Because of that, I read James Watson's The Double Helix and became incensed with his portrayal of Dr. Franklin. Subsequently, I read Ann Sayre's Rosalind Franklin and DNA.
This current work of fiction is an interesting look at a genius in her field at a time when women were just beginning to have a role, but no respect, in the sciences.
Rutheh

Great Female Scientist
A fictional history about Rosalind Franklin, a scientist who discovers the components of DNA. She is very brilliant yet constantly challenged by her male colleagues for her work. The time period is 1947 through 1958, a time when women were not recognized for the scientific contributions to society. Rosalind travels between Paris and London and 3 major research institutions to try to accomplish her goal, to map DNA. This storyline is amazing, but be prepared for some slow, repetitive information that can bog one down. I am a huge fan of Marie Benedict and love and respect the research and time it takes to put together her wonderfully creative stories. Can't wait for the next one! Thank you, BookBrowse, for another good book to read!
CarolT

Good history
Follows along in Benedict's usual course - good history, but so-so characters. I'm really interested in Rosalind Franklin, but Benedict's version is a flat, uninteresting woman who did remarkable things. There are hints Franklin was a more rounded woman, but I'll have to go to actual biographies for that. A novel should bring her out.
SBS

Fact or Fiction?
Story was an intriguing one but much of the writing felt made up ,some of which to make the story more exciting.
Marie Benedict is a well know best seller author.
A good read but honestly not riveting to me

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Return of Faraz Ali
    The Return of Faraz Ali
    by Aamina Ahmad
    In Aamina Ahmad's debut, The Return of Faraz Ali, the eponymous character is a police inspector in ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wonders
    The Wonders
    by Elena Medel
    Spanish poet Elena Medel's debut novel The Wonders (translated by Lizzie Davis and Thomas Bunstead) ...
  • Book Jacket: Four Treasures of the Sky
    Four Treasures of the Sky
    by Jenny Tinghui Zhang
    '…when our Chinese customers come asking for millet and green onions, buying licorice and ...
  • Book Jacket: Hotel Magnifique
    Hotel Magnifique
    by Emily J. Taylor
    A golden ticket or a gilded cage? Seventeen-year-old Jani and her younger sister Zosa are not sure ...

Shadows of Berlin
by David R. Gillham
A captivating novel of a Berlin girl on the run from the guilt of her past and the boy from Brooklyn who loves her.

Fly Girl
    by Ann Hood

"Sheer pleasure. A hilarious and often moving look back at...a young woman's coming of age."
    —Dennis Lehane

The Immortal King Rao
    by Vauhini Vara

A resonant debut novel obliterating the boundaries between literary and speculative fiction, the historic and the dystopian.

I like a thin book because it will steady a table...

I A J's W D, It's W D W