Reader reviews and comments on Blackwater Sound, plus links to write your own review.

Blackwater Sound

by James W. Hall

Blackwater Sound by James W. Hall X
Blackwater Sound by James W. Hall

Jan 2002, 339 pages
    Nov 2002, 368 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Blackwater Sound

Jane Marter

It's a terrific novel. I don't even like marlin fishing, but Mr. Hall made me interested in that subject. Great characters, funny and razor sharp dialog, wonderful descriptions of places. A moving portrait of a family that has lost its center and is disintegrating without any sense of value except self-preservation.
L'Jon

I was really disappointed with this book, it started off with a bang and fizzled shortly thereafer. I just wanted it too end, yet it dragged on. The plot could have been better developed, it just never really "went" anywhere.
M. Bailey

I read the Prologue and had an internal debate as to whether or not I would actually continue reading. While there is some good descriptions about techniques for deep-sea fishing, the rest of the chapter seemed unlikely and forced. I was completely turned off by the intimation of incestual love between two of the characters. Plus, the seemingly Doogie Houser nature of the proposed golden boy mentioned on the jacket cover blurb didn't work for me either. He managed to invent two fishing aides, enter into his family's lab and do wonders there, all at the age of 17. Whatever. Also, Hall's writing style is jarring and has me re-reading a few sentences to make sure I understand what he's getting at. I wanted to know what other people thought so I've looked up reviews on him and all seem favorable. This is the first site I've come to that has someone speaking out against him. I normally don't pan an author after only reading 5 pages of their book, but this one failed to grab me and instead turned me against it. However, I am almost perversely intrigued to see if Hall could possibly get any worse; almost like a rubber-necker at a 5 car pile up accident scene. You know it's gonna be bad but you look anyway.

• Book Jacket: Circe
    by Anjali Sachdeva
  • Book Jacket: Look Alive Out There
    Look Alive Out There
    by Sloane Crosley
    After a brief (and thoroughly enjoyable) foray into fiction (with her 2015 novel The Clasp), Sloane ...
  • Book Jacket: Winter Sisters
    Winter Sisters
    by Robin Oliveira
    Winter Sisters begins with an epic blizzard (see Beyond the Book) hitting the entire Northeast of ...

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes