What readers think of Blackwater Sound, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Jan 2002, 339 pages

Nov 2002, 368 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Blackwater Sound

Jane Marter

It's a terrific novel. I don't even like marlin fishing, but Mr. Hall made me interested in that subject. Great characters, funny and razor sharp dialog, wonderful descriptions of places. A moving portrait of a family that has lost its center and is disintegrating without any sense of value except self-preservation.
L'Jon

I was really disappointed with this book, it started off with a bang and fizzled shortly thereafer. I just wanted it too end, yet it dragged on. The plot could have been better developed, it just never really "went" anywhere.
M. Bailey

I read the Prologue and had an internal debate as to whether or not I would actually continue reading. While there is some good descriptions about techniques for deep-sea fishing, the rest of the chapter seemed unlikely and forced. I was completely turned off by the intimation of incestual love between two of the characters. Plus, the seemingly Doogie Houser nature of the proposed golden boy mentioned on the jacket cover blurb didn't work for me either. He managed to invent two fishing aides, enter into his family's lab and do wonders there, all at the age of 17. Whatever. Also, Hall's writing style is jarring and has me re-reading a few sentences to make sure I understand what he's getting at. I wanted to know what other people thought so I've looked up reviews on him and all seem favorable. This is the first site I've come to that has someone speaking out against him. I normally don't pan an author after only reading 5 pages of their book, but this one failed to grab me and instead turned me against it. However, I am almost perversely intrigued to see if Hall could possibly get any worse; almost like a rubber-necker at a 5 car pile up accident scene. You know it's gonna be bad but you look anyway.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Women and Children First
    Women and Children First
    by Alina Grabowski
    After Lucy Anderson falls to her death at a high school party, no one in Nashquitten, her gloomy, ...
  • Book Jacket: Henry Henry
    Henry Henry
    by Allen Bratton
    Allen Bratton's Henry Henry chronicles a year in the life of Hal Lancaster. Readers already ...
  • Book Jacket: The Last Murder at the End of the World
    The Last Murder at the End of the World
    by Stuart Turton
    The island is the only safe place left on Earth. Since a deadly fog overtook the planet, the ...
    A Kind of Madness
    by Uche Okonkwo
    The word "madness," like many others that can be used to stigmatize mental illness — e.g., "...

BookBrowse Book Club

Look on the Bright Side
by Kristan Higgins
From the author of Pack Up the Moon comes a funny, romantic, and moving novel about life's unexpected rewards.
The Pecan Children
by Quinn Connor
Win This Book
Win Bright and Tender Dark

Bright and Tender Dark by Joanna Pearson

A beautifully written, wire-taut debut novel about a murder on a college campus and its aftermath twenty years later.

A W in S C