What readers think of A False Sense of Well Being, plus links to write your own review.

A False Sense of Well Being

by Jeanne Braselton

A False Sense of Well Being by Jeanne Braselton X
A False Sense of Well Being by Jeanne Braselton

Oct 2001, 352 pages
    Oct 2002, 368 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for A False Sense of Well Being

Kim Stalling

I so agree with Mary Sullivan on her review of this book. My friend recommended the book and even said it reminded her of a book the two of us would write, so I jumped in with much enthusiasm only to be sorely disappointed.
"Dull" is the perfect description for the text. I kept waiting for something to happen to the main character - something worth reading about. The character comes across as a spoiled, lost soul who really has very few problems in her life. The issues she tries to overcome will seem somewhat petty and unimportant to any reader who has ever had to deal with any type of real problem. I just never developed any sort of bond with the character that made me want to find out what became of her.

Like Ms. Sullivan, I, too, had great difficulty making it through the text. However, I did read the book in its entirety and the ending is somewhat moving. I also appreciated the occasional humor throughout the book; therefore I felt the rating of 2 out of 5 was more appropriate.
Mary R Sullivan

I found this book dull, unbelievable, and depressing. The main character is shallow and the others are unsympathetic
caricatures. I kept reading it with the hope that it would get better, that the dialogue would become less stilted and
affected, that the plot would at least become somewhat intriguing, . . . but it didn't happen. Every time I managed to
get through another 20 pages, I'd put it down feeling as if I'd eaten something bad. About 3/4 of the way through the
book, I could not bring myself to pick it up one more time.

Some reviewers apparently liked this book and I can't, for the life of me, figure why. I wonder what else is on their book
list?

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Skinship
    Skinship
    by Yoon Choi
    The fine thing about short stories in general is their way of following characters through ...
    The Last Mona Lisa
    by Jonathan Santlofer
    In 1911, the Mona Lisa disappeared from its home at the Louvre in Paris. It took two years for the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Women of Troy
    The Women of Troy
    by Pat Barker
    Set in the liminal days following the Trojan War, The Women of Troy follows Briseis, who the reader ...
  • Book Jacket: The Magician
    The Magician
    by Colm Toibin
    Thomas Mann — the subject of this biographical novel by Colm Tóibín — is ...

Morningside Heights
by Joshua Henkin
A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

Flesh & Blood
    by N. West Moss

This beautifully written memoir offers insight, understanding, and joy.

Win This Book!
Win Sisters of the Great War

Sisters of the Great War by Suzanne Feldman

A powerful novel of two unconventional American sisters who volunteer at the front during World War I.

Y A B Up T W T