Reader reviews and comments on A False Sense of Well Being, plus links to write your own review.

A False Sense of Well Being

by Jeanne Braselton

A False Sense of Well Being by Jeanne Braselton

Oct 2001, 352 pages
    Oct 2002, 368 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for A False Sense of Well Being

Kim Stalling (07/12/04)

I so agree with Mary Sullivan on her review of this book. My friend recommended the book and even said it reminded her of a book the two of us would write, so I jumped in with much enthusiasm only to be sorely disappointed.
"Dull" is the perfect description for the text. I kept waiting for something to happen to the main character - something worth reading about. The character comes across as a spoiled, lost soul who really has very few problems in her life. The issues she tries to overcome will seem somewhat petty and unimportant to any reader who has ever had to deal with any type of real problem. I just never developed any sort of bond with the character that made me want to find out what became of her.

Like Ms. Sullivan, I, too, had great difficulty making it through the text. However, I did read the book in its entirety and the ending is somewhat moving. I also appreciated the occasional humor throughout the book; therefore I felt the rating of 2 out of 5 was more appropriate.
Mary R Sullivan (01/23/04)

I found this book dull, unbelievable, and depressing. The main character is shallow and the others are unsympathetic
caricatures. I kept reading it with the hope that it would get better, that the dialogue would become less stilted and
affected, that the plot would at least become somewhat intriguing, . . . but it didn't happen. Every time I managed to
get through another 20 pages, I'd put it down feeling as if I'd eaten something bad. About 3/4 of the way through the
book, I could not bring myself to pick it up one more time.

Some reviewers apparently liked this book and I can't, for the life of me, figure why. I wonder what else is on their book
list?

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Castle of Water
    by Mark Kurlansky
  • Book Jacket: Temporary People
    Temporary People
    by Deepak Unnikrishnan
    In this powerful and innovative collection of 28 short stories, Deepak Unnikrishnan presents a ...

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

From the moment I picked your book up...

Y S M B, I'll S Y