Reader reviews and comments on The Passion of Artemisia, plus links to write your own review.

The Passion of Artemisia

by Susan Vreeland

The Passion of Artemisia by Susan Vreeland

Jan 2002, 320 pages
    Jan 2003, 368 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Passion of Artemisia

Joy Stout (11/16/04)

Our local General Federation of Women's Clubs read this book and discussed it. The book was an engaging, graphic account of Artemisia. It gave the reader a deep sense of how it was to be a woman in the 1600's and how extraordinary this woman was. We then studied her paintings. The book gave us a deeper appreciation and understanding of the paintings as we discussed where she was when she painted it, how she made her color choices, who her patrons were and how the painting evolved. This was a wonderful book.
Lynn Foggle (09/14/02)

Perhaps because I am an artist I chose to recommend this book to our book club. Since no one else had any objection it was agreed upon and subsequently, each woman has called to thank me for a wonderful read.... and we haven't had our "book talk" yet! It's a wonderfully written book, meticulously researched and powerfully evocative of the strength of Artemesia Gentileschi; the first woman admitted to the Academia in Florence. The descriptions of the paintings and their construction are fantastic. A great little book!

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Goodbye Days
    Goodbye Days
    by Jeff Zentner
    Guilt can be a heavy burden for anyone to manage, but it's especially difficult for teenagers. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    by Hannah Tinti
    Hannah Tinti follows her spectacular 2008 debut, The Good Thief, with a novel of uncommon ...
  • Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts
    Music of the Ghosts
    by Vaddey Ratner

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

The dirtiest book of all is the expurgated book

Y S M B, I'll S Y