Announcing Our Best Books of 2021

What readers think of Insect Dreams, plus links to write your own review.

Insect Dreams

by Marc Estrin

Insect Dreams by Marc Estrin X
Insect Dreams by Marc Estrin

Feb 2002, 480 pages
    Jan 2003, 480 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Insect Dreams

L Breier

This writer is nothing short of brilliant. I was constantly astounded by Estrin's range of knowledge--- world history, historical figures, physics, chemistry, music----you name it, Marc Estrin knows it intimately.
And "Insect Dreams" is funny to boot. (Take the time to read or re-read Kafka's Metamorphosis beforeheand---it's short---to get the full impact of Estrin's imaginative take on Gregor Samsa, the roach.)
There were many events in the book that were positively prescient, what with the current threat of terrorism, particularly nuclear, following 9/11. Midway in Samsa's historical journey through World War 11 events, Estrin brings his roach character to Los Alamos and allows the reader into the story of the discovery of nuclear fission and the lives and personalities of the scientists attached to the Manhattan Project and the making of "the bomb".
Coincidentally, I had just read in the newspaper that our government was concerned that Iraq is stockpiling lengths of pipe needed to create a nuclear weapon. And at the same time, I am reading in this novel how it was the brainstorm of one of the scientists to pack neutrons into a length of pipe and create an implosion.
There were many other such "aha" moments in the book.
No surprise then, that I highly recommend this book. It is zany and philosophically right on the money at the same time.
PS. I have never before heard of Marc Estrin so this book was an out of the blue surprise for me. I happened to be browsing the new book section of my local library and got curious.

Edith Kessler

I read "The Metamorphosis" when I was in high school. I thought it was fascinating. Your book "Insect Dreams" brought the character Gregor Samsa to life. I like the way Marc Estrin incorporated the character's knowledge and love of music. The character of Gregor Samsa shows that you don't have to be completely human to have a human heart. I look forward to reading future books by Marc Estrin.
rich linder

Great book. At first I wasn't so sure, though the mastery of language was (is) there from the beginning. For a (short) while I wondered if this was one of those books in which the author seems more interested in showing off all he/she knows than in telling a story. This misgiving didn't last long, though, and I was soon caught up in a terrifying comedy, a powerful terrifying comedy, and a powerful terrifying tragedy as well. Gregor is an immensely sympathetic character: one wishes for more such human roaches. And more and more. I bought the book after reading the first page in the bookstore. My best book buy in recent years. The book is also beautifully produced--print, cover, visuals, etc. Thanks, Estrin.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

People from My Neighborhood
    by Hiromi Kawakami
    People from My Neighborhood is exactly what it sounds like — an unnamed narrator recounts a ...
    Win Me Something
    by Kyle Lucia Wu
    Kyle Lucia Wu's Win Me Something opens with a young woman named Willa explaining that she did not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Island of Missing Trees
    The Island of Missing Trees
    by Elif Shafak
    The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak tells a tale of generational trauma, explores identity ...
  • Book Jacket: The Correspondents
    The Correspondents
    by Judith Mackrell
    In the introduction to The Correspondents, author Judith Mackrell points out that although there had...

True Crime Story
    by Joseph Knox

The #1 international bestselling novel. What happens to all the girls who go missing?

Finishing second in the Olympics gets you silver. Finishing second in politics gets you oblivion.

I Y Can't S T H, G O O T K