Reader reviews and comments on Self Matters, plus links to write your own review.

Self Matters

Nov 2001, 320 pages
    May 2003, 336 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Self Matters

lisa anderson

I had a very hard childhood and tried to make the best for my children with makeing the right choices. Sometimes it was good sometimes it was'nt but now I know Why?
Genevieve

What's not to love about Dr. Phil and this book. It gives you in-depth insight to your actions and why your not living your best life. Self Matters goes a step beyond his other work and like Dr. Phill, tells you like it is. Don't miss this one!
AS

What a great service Dr. Phil has fulfilled! There is such a great need for someone to help us through the labyrinth of our minds. It is especially helpful when it's done so in a very simple and down-to-earth way. Yes, we do not have to unconsciously accept whatever our thoughts tell us. We should be very aware of what it is that passes through our minds and not a single thought should go unchecked and unapproved.
Hillary

I think that I need to go get life strategies and try it on for size. Self matters is putting me to sleep , I find myself speed reading through the montinous repetitive parts and trying to get down to business. It seems like he is trying to convince his readers to keep reading ....but instead it is exhausting me just waiting for him to get on with it already. Sorry Dr. Phil......
Marie Bartholomew

READING "IT" WAS LIKE A SOAP OPERA - BUT I AM SURE IT WILL STILL CONTRIBUJTE TO A DAILY TV TALK-SHOW PROGRAM.

After reading the infamous Dr. Phillip McGraw's - 1st book "Strategies" - I was sorely disappointed in "Self - Matters" - (it should have come first - assuming that you have no clue of who you are or your caveats.) "Strategies" was overall inspirational and assisted in one dealing from the heart, mind and then to move on - if they wished to - with soal and heart and knowlege I believe this was written. It appeared by the time "Self Matters" were written - it was like --"too late" - running out on a "stuff to say"--"I paid to "read this"?!

The Book, "Self Matters" I found was repetional, slow info to reader- even if you don't speed read - you will now --- SELF MATTERUNINSPRIASIONAL AND UN MOVING.

How many times and ways you can you tell folks to "snap out if it "-- Dr. Phillip McGraw? I think he ran out of truly helpful and rehabilitative ways after "Life Strategies" (which I read).--GREAT..
Is he still hanging onto Oprahs" shirt-tails?Is he still in the legal profession of interrogation.?

This is only my opinion - but - with no real personal understandings and real-time solutions in "SELF-MATTERS", I got the feeling that Dr. McGraw is "running out of things to sell" to us. - he better go back to the "Strategies".

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers