Reader reviews and comments on Valhalla Rising, plus links to write your own review.

Valhalla Rising

by Clive Cussler

Valhalla Rising by Clive Cussler X
Valhalla Rising by Clive Cussler

Aug 2001, 544 pages
    Jul 2002, 528 pages

There are currently 11 reader reviews for Valhalla Rising

Timmy O

I agree with Tom's assessment ("...The historical aspects were tacked on with seemingly no proper connection to the main storyline...And the ending???")

I was fascinated by the beginning and the lost Viking tribe...even the Captain Nemo stuff was intriguing...but it had NOTHING to do with 3/4 of the book. And the ending explanation about the briefcase was...well, I'm not sure what to say. It's like he hadn't thought things through and had to come up with some extraordinary (and not very believable) explanation to tie it all together.

I think Cussler has talent, but that alone didn't salvage this book for me. I was very disappointed.

(And what's up with everybody "smiling" (e.g. "he said smiling..."; "she smiled") He must have said "he smiled" two hundred times. Clive, there are other facial expressions, don't you know.)
Tom

I'm a big Cussler fan
But C'mon what a crock.
And the ending???
I think it'll be my last and least favourite Pitt adventure
Neko

I used to be a huge fan of Clive Cussler's novels (Raise the Titanic is one I'll never forget), but having read Valhalla Rising - this following severe disappointment in the three preceding it - I can only say that it was most likely the last new Cussler novel that I will read. It is sad to see a novelist like Cussler succumb to clichée after clichée, time after time, offending the reader's intelligence as well his own talent. The man can write good thrillers, with both a believable story and smart characters, so why does he give us books like Valhalla Rising? And to include himself in a key-role? Utterly tasteless, if you ask me. The cameo appearances in the earlier novels was okay, but as with the storyline itself, Cussler has simply gone too far, and overstepped the boundaries of logic and good taste. I can honestly say that never have I been as disappointed in a novel as I was in this one. To give it a one is still way too much.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Cold Millions
    The Cold Millions
    by Jess Walter
    Jess Walter's The Cold Millions centers around 16-year-old Rye Dolan and his 23-year-old brother Gig...
    The Shadow King
    by Maaza Mengiste
    While reading The Shadow King by Maaza Mengiste, I was reminded of the David Foster Wallace novel ...
  • Book Jacket: The Exiles
    The Exiles
    by Christina Baker Kline
    A young governess finds herself pregnant and in prison for theft and attempted murder. An Irish ...
  • Book Jacket: White Too Long
    White Too Long
    by Robert P. Jones
    Religious scholar Robert P. Jones doesn't pull any punches in his latest book, White Too Long: The ...

The Blind Light
    by Stuart Evers

A multigenerational story about two families bound together by the tides of history.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win Agent Sonya

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy

Master storyteller Ben Macintyre tells the true story behind the Cold War's most intrepid female spy.

I I M B T Give T T R