Reader reviews and comments on What You Owe Me, plus links to write your own review.

What You Owe Me

by Bebe Moore Campbell

What You Owe Me by Bebe Moore Campbell X
What You Owe Me by Bebe Moore Campbell

Aug 2001, 496 pages
    Sep 2002, 528 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for What You Owe Me

Praise for 'What you Owe Me'

The book is absolutely wonderful! Bebe Moore Campbell is once again at her best. A prolific author who entangles readers into another world, and has them emerging with a sense of completeness and new knowledge of life's important lessons.
-M. Wright, Auburn, AL
D. L. Raskin

This book is on my shelf next to Beach Music. The author is the best I have read in years. The lines that twisted and braided through the characters, their unique places in this life and on their ancestral chains create a beauty product for all, black,white.hispanic, male, female, Jew and NonJew, fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, fathers and daughters, and mothers and sons. My friends will hear about this book!
D. L. Raskin
Debi

Well-written story that runs across generations and cultural boundaries.
GMack

I thought the book was pretty good.
Sugar51

Misrepresented
I think that their were entirely to many characters to weed through and her disgruntled father should have been dead. His character was very misplace. Also the story was very misdirected; I believe that the story should have been broader as to the main plot. There should have been no money paid out by Matriece because her mother Hosanna, and her mother were business partners, they had a binding contract of proof that was put together by a lawyer. If they had a real binding contract Matriece proposed if anything she should of been part owner or even better. It would have been a better plot for Matriece to take the company totally from Gilda.
Bibliophiend

Campbell should have the success of Terry McMillan. Her writing is much better and her characters are more well drawn. This book once again follows the lives of several families and generations, and she once again makes all the characters believable, real people rather than stereotypical portraits. While I enjoyed this book, it isn't her best work, however. Would highly recommend Brothers and Sisters.

• Book Jacket: The World Doesn't Require You
    The World Doesn't Require You
    by Rion Amilcar Scott
    You can't move for young authors being marketed as "unique," "bold" and "visionary" these days. So ...
  • Book Jacket: The Long Call
    The Long Call
    by Ann Cleeves
    Penning a great murder mystery seems like it would be particularly challenging. The story often fits...
  • Book Jacket: The Liar
    The Liar
    by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen
    The Liar is a book that will make its readers uncomfortable by design; set in modern-day Israel, it ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dutch House
    The Dutch House
    by Ann Patchett

There are a few times in life when you leap up and the past that you'd been standing on falls away ...

The Shadow King
    by Maaza Mengiste

"A brilliant novel, lyrically lifting history towards myth. It's also compulsively readable."
    —Salman Rushdie

Motherhood So White
    by Nefertiti Austin

A heartwarming memoir of motherhood and adoption told through an African American lens.

Win The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

An enchanting story for fans of The Little Paris Bookshop and The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

L, Damn L, A S