What readers think of Choke, plus links to write your own review.

Choke

cody

FANTASTIC
Melissa

Down and Dirty
Only 2 of the participating 4 members of our book club would read this one. They were turned off by the vulgarity of the first part of the book. While I must say I was initially uncomfortable with it, I understand the necessity in the language in describing and making believable an addict's world. I had an even greater understanding for the approach that Palahniuk took when I read the story behind the story on the Choke website!! While the story dealt with the down and dirty, it really ended with hope!
jaydilla

Mr. Palahnuik's novels often examine the pychosis that accompanies everyday people living ordinary lives. Fight Club examined the psychosis of violence in young men who find, not satisfaction, but rather, alienation and rage in conforming to the demands of the modern world. In Choke the psychosis of both altruism and sex is deftly synthesized to make an enjoyable, darkly funny, and disturbing view of adults in America today. Palahnuik is the master of post-modernist writing this era. I must admit that though I enjoyed Invisible Monsters and Fight Club more this is definitely a must read for people who enjoy breaking free from, and satirizing, what it means to be "normal".
morphion

Having never read any other works of Palahniuk, I was not what you might call prepared for Choke. Being 15 years of age, I was beginning to grow accustomed to novels that brought up strange, disturbing concepts and images, but in relation to Choke, no book compared. Initially I was not sure how I felt, but as the story went on my opinion became more solid and I can now safely say that Choke is by far the most horrifying but brilliant book I have ever read.
The views and ideas that arise in Choke are some of the bravest to be risen in modern literature; Chuck Palahniuk has adopted an ingenious style of writing in which one simply cannot trust what they read. Like many brilliant writers, he doesn't just tell you a nice story, but forces you to think. Your perception of this book will hugely and apparently reflect your perception of the world, and not since The World According To Garp has any novel made me question myself like this.
Even with a book so thick with graphic sex and disgustingly open looks at just about everything, you have to admire what it is Palahniuk is trying to do. Love or hate Choke, it is a book that you will never forget.
big bill

wow--this is one ridiculous book. a sensationalist piece of junk that should make any fan of so-called "modern literature" shake his head with frustration. contrived, silly, unimpostrant, and most decidedly not a satire. well, maybe at best it is a cariacature of the author. maybe i should finish the thing before i spout off. if you want to read something "swiftian," go read swift.
Adam

Chuck P has great style and some piercing insights into our culture, but has been dwelling on the morbid side of things for too long. I got tired of it after the last two books I read. Reading this is like picking a scab. Fascinating, but you've got better things to be doing I hope. Read the first page, then take the advice offered there and put it down.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    The Final Revival of Opal & Nev
    by Dawnie Walton
    Within the general arc of many well-established and chronicled historical events is oral history's ...
  • Book Jacket: Monkey Boy
    Monkey Boy
    by Francisco Goldman
    Francisco Goldman's Monkey Boy exists in the liminal space between memoir and fiction. Like Goldman ...
  • Book Jacket: The Girl in His Shadow
    The Girl in His Shadow
    by Audrey Blake
    The Girl in His Shadow by Audrey Blake is a fast-paced historical novel set in Victorian-era England...
  • Book Jacket: Whereabouts
    Whereabouts
    by Jhumpa Lahiri
    Jhumpa Lahiri's Whereabouts has seen numerous comparisons to Second Place by Rachel Cusk. These two ...

The Book of Lost Names
by Kristin Harmel
A heartrending novel of survival, inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II.

Morningside Heights
    by Joshua Henkin

A tender and big-hearted novel about love in the face of loss, from the award-winning author of The World Without You.

They say that in the end truth will triumph, but it's a lie.

H I T Best P