What readers think of Never Change, plus links to write your own review.

Never Change

by Elizabeth Berg

Never Change by Elizabeth Berg X
Never Change by Elizabeth Berg

May 2001, 224 pages

Apr 2002, 224 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Never Change

Lindaintexas

I have just finished "Never Change". I cannot remember a book that brought me to the deepest parts of the human experience as effectively as this one. Elizabeth Berg knows what the greater truths of life are. She walks in the path of the truely enlightened. Her characters are wonderfully ordinary people who are truly heroic in their walk through life. No doubt, this book is about life. I have not met another person who can see the ways each detail in life is intricately connected. I too know these things and have felt alone in my knowledge because I struggle with words to explain it. For her (and for me) the greatest questions of the soul have been revealed, and we can see that in the small bits of wisdom her characters reveal. We are kindred spirits because I too "know" what she knows --I've never known how to reveal it. She does this in "Never Change". I found myself emotionally wiped out as I put down the book. There were parts that hit so so deep. I have sobbed and sobbed like I haven't in years, and not because of any sadness in the story --but because of the intensity, power and beauty of life as I too experience it. To hit at the core of what it's all about is just masterful. Just masterful. I wish I could e-mail her and tell her that I too have discovered the same truths. I want to connect with others who know.
Alana Mcdonnas

i am still only in high school but the librarian in my school recommended this to me as she had already read it and enjoyed it. i found this book was funny in some parts but in other parts it had me in tears.

Myra - who is the main charecter - is 51 years old and a nurse who is called out to the houses of people who are unable to get into the hospital themselves. She is assigned a new patient - Chip - and he was the love of her life in high school. The roles are reversed and as she used to depend on seeing him and talking to him, he is now dependant on her. The ending is not as i expected it to be but in some ways it turns out the best it could have for both of them

Absoloutly brilliant book, recommended if you need a good cry!!
Melanie Nordquist

I absolutely loved this book. Every sentance painted mental pictures for me. The language is nothing short of beautiful, the emotions brought about by the writing charmed and entrigued me. Some of the references to childhood experiences brought back memories long forgotten.

I will read every single thing Ms. Berg writes. Thank you for the sheer pleasure of reading a simply wonderful story, exquisitely unfolded.
Tim

It is funny how a person can write what "you" feel...and so on the dot too. Everything from Myra getting excited with the phone call with Chip all the way to Myra wanting to die with Chip. A beautiful story told with a unique touch of happiness, yet with the sense of lovable misery. With the explanations of why Myra became a nurse, just touches ones' heart with the most sincere emotion imaginable. I would promote this story to anyone, young or old, for it encases much to learn on the topic of life itself.
Laurie Gibbons

I really enjoyed Never Change. I though the character of Myra was a great person to come to know and follow. There were aspects to her character that I could relate to; she was a very real person. I cried my eyes out through many parts of the book.
Linda

I thought the book was kinda good but not all that. I enjoy reading the book beacuse it deals with nursing and I am a studtent major in Nursing so it help me learn new things and explore the career as a nurse. The book was cool.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

• Book Jacket: The Story of Russia
    The Story of Russia
    by Orlando Figes
  • Book Jacket: Moth
    Moth
    by Melody Razak
    On August 15, 1947, India gained independence from the United Kingdom, and on that same day the ...
  • Book Jacket: All the Lonely People
    All the Lonely People
    by Mike Gayle
    Mike Gayle's charming novel All the Lonely People introduces us to Hubert Bird, an 82-year-old ...
  • Book Jacket: Perish
    Perish
    by LaToya Watkins
    It's a commonly cited fact that many perpetrators of sexual abuse, particularly men, are victims of ...

The Ways We Hide