Announcing our Top 20 Books of 2022 and Award Winners

What readers think of Empire Falls, plus links to write your own review.

by Richard Russo

Empire Falls by Richard Russo X
Empire Falls by Richard Russo

May 2001, 512 pages

Apr 2002, 512 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Empire Falls

Immy

Empire Falls
I'm fourteen years old don't live anywhere near America but still loved and understood Empire Falls. Russo effortlessly manages to convey his ideas through this book without forcing you to agree with them. Once you have read this book it is easy to see why it won the pulitzer prize and will definately go down on history as a classic novel.
Matt Young

Empire Falls
Without fail- time & time again; you effortlessly seem to hit a homerun, ( this time a GRANDSLAM!!! ); with your gift of storytelling! This book is an entertaining look into everyday life in a small town, with some of the most amusing characters that i've ever had the pleasure to read. Phenomenal job on winning the PULITZER!, uncle Rick!!!
Samantha Morrin

I'm seventeen years old and I choose to read Richard Russo's "Empire Falls" for a Pulitzer Prize winning book project. I'm fortunate to have picked such a greatly written book, the characters were very well developed, the storyline incredibly interesting, and the setting vividly set. I happen to live in a small town myself, and even though, yes, some characters were very 'cookie cutter', that's how a small town is. I encourage anyone who likes a great and moving storyline to pick up this riviting book.
Robin Stinson

I am 56 years of age and read this book with one of my book clubs. This book combines an unusual sense of humor, human tragedy, wonderful descriptions of small town America, suspense and drama, and some of the best character development I've read.
It is definitely worth a reread for all the nuances and to laugh again at the human foibles that Russo so beautifully depicts.
C.A.A.

I absolutely loved this book. I'm 16 and I think that I can relate to almost every aspect that this book describes. This was quite a page turner- I couldn't put it down! This was assigned as a summer reading book, but I have no idea how a book this good ended up on the list. Usually the books I have to read for school are a chore; this was a pleasure.
M. Milligan

One of the best books I've read this year. As soon as I finished I read it again just to gain a deeper perspective.
J.Moore

This is a wonderful book that I just hated to see end. I love to find a book that is so good that I look forward to going to bed early at night just to get back to it and this is that book for me.
Kevin Kolbe

Richard Russo not only has the genius to understand the scope of human emotion, but the courage to be truthful about it. Russo understands, perhaps better than any other author, how much a character's faults endear us to them.

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

• Book Jacket: Horse
    Horse
    by Geraldine Brooks
    Voted 2022 Best Fiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. Geraldine Brooks creates a ...
  • Book Jacket: In Love
    In Love
    by Amy Bloom
    Voted 2022 Best Nonfiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers. In 2019, author Amy Bloom and her...
  • Book Jacket: Remarkably Bright Creatures
    Remarkably Bright Creatures
    by Shelby Van Pelt
    Shelby Van Pelt's debut novel, Remarkably Bright Creatures, is set in the fictional town of Sowell ...

Members Recommend

Scatterlings
    by Resoketswe Martha Manenzhe

The debut novel of a gifted storyteller who has become a sensation in her native South Africa.

The Big Holiday Wordplay

Cradles of the Reich
by Jennifer Coburn
Three women, a nation seduced by a madman, and the Nazi breeding program to create a so-called master race.

Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man...