Reader reviews and comments on Empire Falls, plus links to write your own review.

by Richard Russo

Empire Falls by Richard Russo X
Empire Falls by Richard Russo

May 2001, 512 pages
    Apr 2002, 512 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Empire Falls

Immy

Empire Falls
I'm fourteen years old don't live anywhere near America but still loved and understood Empire Falls. Russo effortlessly manages to convey his ideas through this book without forcing you to agree with them. Once you have read this book it is easy to see why it won the pulitzer prize and will definately go down on history as a classic novel.
Matt Young

Empire Falls
Without fail- time & time again; you effortlessly seem to hit a homerun, ( this time a GRANDSLAM!!! ); with your gift of storytelling! This book is an entertaining look into everyday life in a small town, with some of the most amusing characters that i've ever had the pleasure to read. Phenomenal job on winning the PULITZER!, uncle Rick!!!
Samantha Morrin

I'm seventeen years old and I choose to read Richard Russo's "Empire Falls" for a Pulitzer Prize winning book project. I'm fortunate to have picked such a greatly written book, the characters were very well developed, the storyline incredibly interesting, and the setting vividly set. I happen to live in a small town myself, and even though, yes, some characters were very 'cookie cutter', that's how a small town is. I encourage anyone who likes a great and moving storyline to pick up this riviting book.
Robin Stinson

I am 56 years of age and read this book with one of my book clubs. This book combines an unusual sense of humor, human tragedy, wonderful descriptions of small town America, suspense and drama, and some of the best character development I've read.
It is definitely worth a reread for all the nuances and to laugh again at the human foibles that Russo so beautifully depicts.
C.A.A.

I absolutely loved this book. I'm 16 and I think that I can relate to almost every aspect that this book describes. This was quite a page turner- I couldn't put it down! This was assigned as a summer reading book, but I have no idea how a book this good ended up on the list. Usually the books I have to read for school are a chore; this was a pleasure.
M. Milligan

One of the best books I've read this year. As soon as I finished I read it again just to gain a deeper perspective.
J.Moore

This is a wonderful book that I just hated to see end. I love to find a book that is so good that I look forward to going to bed early at night just to get back to it and this is that book for me.
Kevin Kolbe

Richard Russo not only has the genius to understand the scope of human emotion, but the courage to be truthful about it. Russo understands, perhaps better than any other author, how much a character's faults endear us to them.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C