MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Turning On The Girls, plus links to write your own review.

Turning On The Girls

by Cheryl Benard

Turning On The Girls

Feb 2001, 256 pages
    Jul 2002, 335 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Turning On The Girls

Angela (02/07/11)

Comedic Relief!
This book is great for us older, tired feminists as well as the young daring ones, and any and all who think that we can make a better world than the one we have. So much "education" without even knowing it! Laughter is good for the soul! It was another one of those books that made me wonder why I haven't written one yet! Thank you Cheryl for all the validation of my own musings and fantasies! Very inspiring! Can't wait to read more of your work. Surprised to just now be discovering you-- in my local public library! Yes!
go2yourlibrary (11/13/02)

Our discussion about this book was really good! Half our members thought this book was hilarious--funny!! witty!! a comment on society!! The other half of the group thought it insulting, patronizing and sexist.
Character and plot certainly added to the discussion, but we also Investigated the Author and spent some time trying to figure out WHY she portrayed a matriarchial society as she did. Was there a secret hidden (political) agenda?

Great for discussion groups--you either love it or hate it. (Also, entertaining to read)
go2yourlibrary (07/22/02)

Our bookclub, Words And Flava, has decided to read this book for our August selection. We will let you know how our discussion goes!

• Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...
  • Book Jacket: The Association of Small Bombs
    The Association of Small Bombs
    by Karan Mahajan
    The Association of Small Bombs is a fictional story that revolves around an actual 1996 car bombing ...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun